Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm looking forwards to enjoying your comprehensive looking forum - very soon I will be purchasing a 156 diesel estate, probably around a 'Y' reg.

Can anyone advise what the difference in economy is - between the two engine sizes and if there are any reliability issues?

Also - is there info on here regards the spec/trim list of the various model types.........

many thanks for any help

Tim.

E

·
0 Posts
Sure some owners will post some better info, but a mate of mine has a 2.4 20v 175bhp. I think it sounds better than the 1.9, and he gets about 45mpg.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
175bhp model didn't come out until the '53 plate.

At around Y-reg, you don't have too many options. The 1.9 16v wasn't around then, I don't know if ARUK even brought the 1.9 8v to the UK til the interior facelift in 2002..

So your choices are both 2.4 10v, either the 136bhp model (up to and including X-reg) or the 140bhp model (Y-reg and above).

Best way to check is engine cover. Silver = 136bhp model, silver and black = 140bhp model. The 140bhp is certainly the one to go for although mine was the 136bhp model and I had no issues with it and remapped it was very, very quick.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i go with pud 237,ive had the 2.4 140 bhp 10v , and that was quick but had been remapped to 185 bhp , and it did smoke abit due to the remap. ive now got the 20v and wouldnt have any other engine . first drive the 1.9 then the 2.4, then see what puts a smile on your face:lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
i bought an 03 2.4 3 weeks ago and been dead chuffed. watch that the thermostat reads somewhere near centre of temperature gauge- mne didnt and cost £40 + 3 hours to fit it-this appears to b v comon. on y 90k 03 plate car, the clutch slips on flooring it (ONLY SLIGHTLY/OCCASIONALLY)as these engines use a dual mass flywheel IT IS GOING TO COST £720 TO GHANGE CLUTCH!!!! they usually end up renewing flywheel and suspension subframe has to be loosened/removed to get gearbox out of way. Finally dont be scared if engine management light comes on because they randomly flash on from time to time (mine did 4 times one week and never since then). They sound great and go even better. Mines listed as a 10v 150bhp lusso model, going to get it chipped to 175bhp. happy alfa ownership!

·
Registered
910 Posts
yeh i had the management light on mine, drove me bloody mad :rant: turned out to be a split egr valve pipe they are prone to that.also the clutch slipped on full power , that had the works dmf and you was spot on , it cost 720 all up ,.:)

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
As said before 1.9 is out of frame as it wasn't available then. Go as young as you can and get the 150bhp or even 175 bhp versions of the 2.4. It really is a storming engine:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for the info .....

Does anyone know when the 1.9 was introduced? both the 8v and the 16v?

Any members that actually have one of the cars - I'd be really interested in hearing from you if poss.

thanks again all.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a Nero Black 03reg 1.9JTD SW (Estate) Turismo (povpack) - interior facelift

It's a great car, plenty of space for two child seats and a double phil&teds pram, gets around 50mpg no matter what I do. Bags of torque compared to a petrol which is addictive. I'm a convert. I've added cruise control, better speakers and GTA rims. It's done a lazy lap of the Nurburg ring.

I'm led to believe the 8V has a std flywheel - not an expensive dual mass thingo, and that the valves are not the intererence type - so if you trash a cambelt, all you trash is a cambelt. I can't confirm any of that though. It's nicer/faster/stronger than a VAG 1.9TDI in my opinion.

Other than that.. I lust after a full facelift 1.9JTDm or the last 2.4JTDm and wish i had researched and waited longer when i need to buy the car. In dark metallic blue please with a bone or grey leather interior - all the trimmings - a TI I guess.

If anybody knows of one let me know and i'll sell turbotim mine :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the reply. I think you might have my next car.....
I'm sure the 2.4 is lovely but the 1.9 is ample for me. What's the 'm' model?
How much for yours dude?
Any photo? I'm very curious to see anyways - especially the interior.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a Nero Black 03reg 1.9JTD SW (Estate) Turismo (povpack) - interior facelift

It's a great car, plenty of space for two child seats and a double phil&teds pram, gets around 50mpg no matter what I do. Bags of torque compared to a petrol which is addictive. I'm a convert. I've added cruise control, better speakers and GTA rims. It's done a lazy lap of the Nurburg ring.

I'm led to believe the 8V has a std flywheel - not an expensive dual mass thingo, and that the valves are not the intererence type - so if you trash a cambelt, all you trash is a cambelt. I can't confirm any of that though. It's nicer/faster/stronger than a VAG 1.9TDI in my opinion.

Other than that.. I lust after a full facelift 1.9JTDm or the last 2.4JTDm and wish i had researched and waited longer when i need to buy the car. In dark metallic blue please with a bone or grey leather interior - all the trimmings - a TI I guess.

If anybody knows of one let me know and i'll sell turbotim mine :)
I've got a nice 2004 140bhp facelifted dark blue metallic 1.9 16V. Not planned on selling it but now you mention it.. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts