Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed the other day that I had a dash bulb out on the bottom left of my rev counter.... Assuming that it was the same as other makes I bought a complete dash bulb unit (the type with the socket included with two meteal lugs that tighten to make the contact as you twist)...WRONG!

Needless to say... Allfa never make it easy:rolleyes: No, you have to use the existing socket for the replacement bulb... So one quick trip to the local halfrauds and I ended up in a quandry... Do I go for the replacement 1.2watt or do I try the 2.3watt (same size, voltage & cost)

I said "what the hell" and plummed for the 2.3watt for some reason. I'm pleased I did really... It's is a little brighter and to me, even though the dash lights are set to maximum, they looked a little too dim in comparison to other makes anyway.
I took another trip up to Halfrauds and bought some more and replaced them all ;) looks nice, clean and bright!

So handy tip.... Got a bulb that needs replacing... Get the 2.3watt type instead and light your dash up like a christmas tree:D :thumbs:

Oh! and stay away from those Ebay "blue dash light bulbs" offers! They wont work as they are the wrong type that they supply to you.... I found that out by matching the numbers afterwards, so save your money

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Good tip. But i take it you have the pre facelift dash.
As mine is the facelift interior with red illumination and it lights up like a brothel at night.
My pre facelift 156 with the orange and green illumination was quite dull though.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
2.3 is x2 approx of 1.2 .... = x2 the heat ....plastic melting issue?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmm ... We will see about that... But 2.3 watts at 12v.... Big temps!!!?:lol:

To keep everyone happy..... I checked the temp with a spare holder, 2.3w bulb and a couple of wires attached to the car battery terminals today after reading this... 5 minutes and I was still holding the bulb with my bare fingers so I think plastic is safe... ;)

Reactions: 68charger

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
thanks for the '101' electronic lesson

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
To keep everyone happy..... I checked the temp with a spare holder, 2.3w bulb and a couple of wires attached to the car battery terminals today after reading this... 5 minutes and I was still holding the bulb with my bare fingers so I think plastic is safe... ;)
The boiling frog story states that a frog can be boiled alive if the water is heated slowly enough — it is said that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will never jump out ;)

Anywho, how much are these bulbs are is there a code for them, 501, H6W or something? I'm interested in doing this too

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
type: 286 capless

you can buy the on ebay

·
Registered
93 Posts
leds dont cast an even light, very directiona, so 1/2/3 bright bits on the dash, rest is dim,, can be a bit cack looking,,, takes a bit of modding to do correctly,,,, did it on my motorbike, as bulbs kept blowing due to vibration, had to put v bright ones in to help it out, but it did work, no more bulbs out/ fairing off, etc etc,,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts