Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone help with my 156 1.9 JTD Sportwagon.... Front (driver's side) suspension seems to have developed a creak when under braking.... Or could it be the brake pedal....
Hope someone can help?

·
Registered
231 Posts
i'd go with upper bones.
jack front of car up and wobble the wheel to see if you have any play on any of the bushes,
my 156 has done 83k and i've changed the upper bones twice. last month being the most recent.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i'd go with upper bones.
jack front of car up and wobble the wheel to see if you have any play on any of the bushes,
my 156 has done 83k and i've changed the upper bones twice. last month being the most recent.
best done with car on ground you can get your hand in and give wheel a good shake and feel :thumbs:

·
Registered
212 Posts
upper wishbone inner bushes, rubber breaks away from the metal inset and then makes a creaking noise. initailly you wont feel any play but that what it is just done mine

·
Registered
981 Posts
My car makes a subtle noise under breaking since the colder weather set in. It subsides once everything has warmed up. My wishbones creak whenever the weather is dry, but this is a different thing. If you don't replace the upper wishbones in time, the front tyres will wear unevenly. My front tyres needed to be replaced when I bought my car due to worn bushes :(

·
Registered
930 Posts
OK, mine does the same thing.. well it creaks all the time, but only when its hot.... seems that everyone else has this problem only when its cold. MY indie tells me it's probably the ARB bushes - typical that it has to be the most expensive solution.

·
Registered
212 Posts
to check if it is the upper wishbone bushes jack up the car(wheel off the ground) reach into the wheel arch and firmly grip the wishbone where the balljoint is now push back and forth at a 90 degree angle to the mounting of the wishbone. if ya can feel play the bushes are gone for sure. now thats all provided there is enough play that you can feel it

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
to check if it is the upper wishbone bushes jack up the car(wheel off the ground) reach into the wheel arch and firmly grip the wishbone where the balljoint is now push back and forth at a 90 degree angle to the mounting of the wishbone. if ya can feel play the bushes are gone for sure. now thats all provided there is enough play that you can feel it
best checked with suspension loaded as that is in its working range of travel

·
Registered
231 Posts
i think you'd struggle to get any movement with car on the ground unless they are completely f'd. thats if you can even get to the upper wishbone, i know for sure on my one you wouldn't, but i'm running eibach springs

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i think you'd struggle to get any movement with car on the ground unless they are completely f'd. thats if you can even get to the upper wishbone, i know for sure on my one you wouldn't, but i'm running eibach springs
im a big fella and i can get my arm up there whilst pulling the wheel about and any movement is in real world

ps im running koni kit

·
Registered
212 Posts
yup thats how mine was you just couldnt feel any play with the weight of the car on the suspension. but with all the creaking and groaning going on i knew it was the upper bushes goosed anyway

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for replies

Thanks guys for your replies and input.... Have not noticed if it is worse when hot or cold, will pay more attention! Now know where to start looking... Will report back.:thumbs:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just bought a 156JTS, with only 45000 miles, the front drivers side suspension squeaks like made, cant feel any play anywhere and dont have any knocks over bumps....have new upper wishbones ready in case...is that likely to be the problem? Secondly, the brakes, compared to my old Y2k 156, are useless...new discs and pads but just totally lack the power and feel as if the pedal goes hard and wont apply full pressure, but the abs comes in ok.....any ideas anyone?
One last thing....the clever last owner decided to replace an O2 sensor upstream of the cat....and to do so hacked the old one out and joined the replacement in with plastic block connectors...now the engine management light is on...can I replace the front part of the loom or will soldering the sensor in properly solve the prob ? Any ideas? otherwise she's a lovely car.....
Cheers
Nog

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've just bought a 156JTS, with only 45000 miles, the front drivers side suspension squeaks like made, cant feel any play anywhere and dont have any knocks over bumps....have new upper wishbones ready in case...is that likely to be the problem? Secondly, the brakes, compared to my old Y2k 156, are useless...new discs and pads but just totally lack the power and feel as if the pedal goes hard and wont apply full pressure, but the abs comes in ok.....any ideas anyone?
One last thing....the clever last owner decided to replace an O2 sensor upstream of the cat....and to do so hacked the old one out and joined the replacement in with plastic block connectors...now the engine management light is on...can I replace the front part of the loom or will soldering the sensor in properly solve the prob ? Any ideas? otherwise she's a lovely car.....
Cheers
Nog
My brakes felt that way too.... I replaced the front rotors and fitted Feroda DS2500 pads.. also changed the fluid to dot 5.1.

Huge difference.. great feel and stupendous power with no fade at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll have a look at that.....it almost feels like the pads have got contaminated, or the hydraulics arent bled correctly...I cant believe they'd update a car and give it worse brakes when the old ones were so good...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the end I replaced upper and lower wishbones, drop links and shockers on both near- and off-sides. Result: no more knocks, bumps or creaks. Happy bunny.....;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts