Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
156 crash test
Hi all. I was on abit of a road trip this weekend enjoyiong my trip blasting up an empty M1 towards monahan to do rally day. After my fantasic sunday screeching around a track in a MkII, cooper S and the crazy C spec subaru STI. i was making my way home and dreaded though that should enter all drivers heads at some time... what if.... i left the road or god forbid some luder crosses the road and smack..
so i had a look for some crash stats for a 156. what did i find only this

ohhh no. where did the engine dissapear to ?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkk3pmfa4vU

dont get me wrong i will NOT be selling my 156. But i am hoping that is not the usuall 30-40 mph test that they do.

please comment

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
If you look at most of the other vids on the same page, they all do more or less the same thing .

so you're just as safe in an ALFA as in anything...

or you could ride a bike into a wall and see what that's like.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looked at those other vids, 156 looks at lot worse to me engine pressed against your nads and the cabin compressed big time

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
How fast was the Alfa smashed into the block at? I am sure it was upwards of 40mph which will do a similar amount of damage to most cars of the same age.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
The 156 is based on the Tipo floorpan. When was it the ECOTY? 1988?

Expecting the 156 to be as sound in a crash as a car designed after the prevalence of the EuroNCAP testing scheme seems a bit much to me.

Perhaps you should think more of the active safety benefits of a 2 and a bit lock to lock steering and those wishbones?

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
look at the 'A' Frame, this should not move in this manner, in theory, (if the speed is 40 mph) you should be able to open the door, which is where the 159 has a hugh improvement:

blink.gif

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,212 Posts
Expecting the 156 to be as sound in a crash as a car designed after the prevalence of the EuroNCAP testing scheme seems a bit much to me
Fair point. Tipo came out in 1988, NCAP arrived in 1997, and the 156 has been adding beauty to our roads since 1997, too. All the 156's safety structure and engineering would have been signed-off way before 1997.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
look at the 'A' Frame, this should not move in this manner, in theory, (if the speed is 40 mph) you should be able to open the door, which is where the 159 has a hugh improvement:

View attachment 51690

The 159 was designed to pass the test though, the 156 wasn't as its an older design.

If the 156 was capable of passing the test it would be as heavy as the 159.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Had had a big smash in my 156:( hit at 40mph on the front passenger wing. Car was totalled but my only injuries were brusing and a sore hip from the seatbelt pre-tensioner, a sore knee from the centre console and sore face from the door which swang back onto it as I got out:eek:

The 159 would get 6 stars (the new tests due soon).

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I crash tested my 156:(. I got a couple of photos I'll dig out for you. It rolled a couple of times, came to rest on the roof in a hedge. I have to say I was pretty impressed with how it stood up, tbh. The only injuries I had was some nasty whiplash and a gashed elbow where I'd stuck it through the driver's window. Considering what it went through, I think it kept its shape well. The seatbelt also kept me in the seat well, so much so that the guy who pulled me out had to punch it open. The airbag didn't go off, though, and the engine didn't cut off automatically (I had to reach up to do it with the key).

I'll go and dig out those photos.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Here you go. Had to get off my @rse and go to the other computer for that:p

Couldn't get them to embed:confused: , so click for larger:)

Attachments

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
:eek: There is not a straight panel on the car.

I am glad you are ok though. Things like that can be very nasty.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,212 Posts
the airbag wouldn't have gone off; no reason for it to have done so as it wasn't a prolonged frontal deceleration. What caused the car to get airborne? i guess you weren't going too fast and the stuff you hit was either soft or ultimately overcome by the car's weight?

am i surprised the engine didn't cut out? yes and no. my GTV6 had an impact cut-out so sensitive, that even if it saw a car that scared it, it would cut out lol :) that said, probably for the same reason the air bag saw no reason to go off, i guess the engine cut out thought the same.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I am glad you are ok though. Things like that can be very nasty
Thank you:) Yes, it did give me pause to think - and improve my driving.

the airbag wouldn't have gone off; no reason for it to have done so as it wasn't a prolonged frontal deceleration. What caused the car to get airborne? i guess you weren't going too fast and the stuff you hit was either soft or ultimately overcome by the car's weight?
Excess speed around a sharp bend, combined with the back tyre hitting some mud and sliding up the verge (country road - local to me, so was too confident going around it). It rolled on the road, so the roll wasn't soft, but I was lucky that I landed in a hedge, rather than a tree or signpost.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 156 uses a platform derived from the Alfa Romeo 155, which in turn was derived from the Fiat Group's "Tipo" platform. However it is sufficiently different from the original "Tipo" one to be seen as a new platform.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Here you go. Had to get off my @rse and go to the other computer for that:p

Couldn't get them to embed:confused: , so click for larger:)
Thats a propper job Mama! Carnt believe how the 156 got totally mullered:wow:

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I know, my poor baby:cry:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts