Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, hello again (not been on here for a long time due to my 156 being on the 'long term' dead pile):(
anyway, the fault was no.4 big end shell had destroyed itself, i've been gathering parts and finally got to grips with it today.
I bought a used crankshaft a while ago and when i came to fit it ut's bigger than the one that's in it:mad:
I can only assume i've been sold a 2 litre crankshaft (my car is a 1.8)

I've tried to find another one but no joy so far is it advisable to have my original crank ground or will it cause me problems in the future?

or has anyone got a crankshaft for sale?:confused:

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
The crank can be reground providing the scoring isn't too deep.

The bearing surfaces are nitrided. If the scoring is deeper than the nitriding then you will need a new one.

I did read that most TS cranks are salvageable, as long as the engine hasn't thrown a rod and bent the crank.

I am not aure where the best place for a crank regrind would be, but I am sure someone on here will be able to help further. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that, i'd heard they were nitrided and was wondering if anyone else had experienced problems after grinding them.
i should be able to get it ground at a place in trafford park
just gutted, i thought i had all the bits and was planning on having it running tomorrow:( it'll be at least next weekend before i can do it now:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I have had numerous cranks reground and just polished.They have not given any trouble at all as long as its done professionally. There is a limit to what they can done to and as far as I know its 10 thou under, this can be measured by an engineering shop who specialize. They should be able to supply the shells to suit.
I have heard that there is a 15thou shell and a 20 thou replacement but never found them yet, this also confirmed by Smaky if your damage is to that degree.
A 2.0 litre crank is heavier with more counterweight and would need balance shafts in the block, as do 2.0 liter blocks. I have fitted with the help of Smaky a 1.8 to a 2.0 but not the other way , you should check to see if your 2.0l crank is standard though should you decide to use it in a 2.0 block so as to match shells, hope this helps.
Also a cf2 crank (the later ones) are OK , just lightened but diam are the same

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, i'll try and drop the crank in at the grinders on monday and fingers crossed it will clean up at 10 thou
on the bright side, i should get my money back on the 2.0l crank (if that's what it is) they do seem to be in demand

1 - 5 of 5 Posts