Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I knew this would happen. I've already posted a couple of questions regarding a few simple upgrades but having been out in my "new" 156 all day I realise that no matter what the Bose system is absolute pants (sorry all you Bose fans).

My previous system had a Sony HU running into an Audio Control 2XS crossover and a Denon DCA800 6ch amp. I had Rainbow component 6.5" and Tweets up front and a J&L 12" in the rear. The Audio control 2XS split the full range output into mids and highs (this unit comes with changeable chips to alter low and high pass ranges and is a superb product) so one channel of the amp drove the tweets, one channel drove the mids and the sub was driven by the bridged sub out of the amp. I did not use the passive crossovers on the Rainbows as there was no need.

So now I have another Sony DSX-200X digital HU with 3 pairs of pre out RCA's (F,R and Sub). I'm needing advice on how best to setup a new system given that Denon amps are no longer made. Can I make a more simple setup without needing a crossover unit feeding a 6ch amp? Is it just as good to use a fewer channel amp and the component crossovers to feed mids and highs? And that being the case which amps should I be looking at? I'm more concerned with quality than quantity but am on a very tight budget. I could go for the same setup as before I suppose but budget might not stretch that far this time.

For fronts spkrs I'm looking at Focal 165V30's (very pricey here), Morel Tempo 6 (half the price of Focal), Polk DB6501 (even cheaper) but open to any suggestions. Amps commonly available here are from JBL, Soundstream, Genesis, Precision Power, Rockford Fosgate etc.

Shiny - you know you're the man for this and I know you love a challenge!!!!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I do love a challenge! :D

Morel are popular over here in Australia. The Tempo 6 are meant to be very nice, particularly if you prefer the delicate treble from a soft dome tweeter; Focal tweeters tend to be more aggressive, though other people like that too.

On a tight budget, keep it simple, and use just a 4-channel (or 3-channel) amp, running the front speakers off ch.1 and 2, and sub off ch.3(+4).

Your previous setup seemed nice. Main advantage of running 'active' is ability to use time correction/alignment on each separate driver for best staging; I don't know if you had that feature though. Also better dynamics. But again, on a budget, you probably won't have this luxury.

So you can use the supplied passive crossovers for the component speakers. That Sony only has limited inbuilt crossovers, so to run 'active' you'd need a crossover unit like the Audio Control again, or an amp with suitable inbuilt crossovers.

For amplifiers, maybe look into Arc Audio XD series like the XDi804 or XD803, or JL Audio XD400/4. Audison SR4 is another nice option. If you spend a bit more, the Hertz HDP4 would be excellent. I'm sure you could find these online from Europe or US.

Otherwise, Genesis are of course very nice. I don't like Soundstream these days; they have gone 'cheap'. Rockford and JBL seem to remain very good.

Good budget subwoofers including Alpine Type-S, JL Audio W1v2, and Boston Acoustics G1.

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shiny - I knew you'd come through. It's such a shame that Denon stopped making that amp. It was in the days when they were still designed in the UK and it was much higher quality than some of todays stuff (fully die cast chassis/heatsinks). It's funny because when I first bought the Denon in the late 1990's (it was secondhand and I was still using it until only last year when I had to sell it all with the car prior to emigrating to HK) it was part of a complete package that included Morel speakers. In those days I think Morel had almost gone out of business and they were no longer available in the UK. I liked the sound they produced from the silk domed tweets but always thought they were a budget option given the stamped steel cages and paper cones, so having damaged one of them accidentally I bought the Rainbows which were getting rave reviews in the UK.

It's so difficult to audition stuff here as the Car audio sales shops don't have the elaborate display setups and listening rooms like other countries. Most drivers here will just take the car to them, tell them to "fit me a nice audio and I want Focal" and hand over large amount of cash!!! So getting advice is a challenge so again I'm eternally grateful for your help.

I'll update here when I make some decisions.

·
7,713 Posts
No probs.

If you can find out all the brands readily available, it would help, in terms of knowing what to recommend. Though you probably have to be a bit careful in HK, cos there would be fakes coming out of China. In particular Focal are a brand commonly copied, so I wonder if there's fake stuff floating around HK.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most legit shops here won't sell fake stuff and they sign up to an anti fake charter. Actually Focal is made in China as are many brands.

I'm going to go back to my shop here to have a closer look. They definitely stock Infiniti, JBL, Boston Acoustics, Precision Power, Soundstream, Rockford and Genesis. Also Japanese stuff such as Phass and Nakamichi as well as the usual Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer etc. I hope to have around £1000 to play with so that should get me a reasonable setup (not forgetting sound deadening). Cables a plenty here in local electrical market so no problems there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, spent the afternoon trying to break the language barrier. Basically very little help - they just ask what do you want but offer little advice as regards blending of different makes!!!

Anyway I've narrowed down the shortlist, given the availability of things, to the Morel Tempo's, a JBL PX300.4 amp or Precision Power PC400.4 (the JBL is cheaper and seems to have good reviews), a Focal SBP30 12" sub ready boxed (again seems to have good reviews). Together with Soundstream brand of dynamat (a lot cheaper) that about comes in dead on my budget if I use the JBL amp.

Shiny I saw that you also panelled off the service access holes in your doors, what did you use for the panels. Was it sheet metal or wood?

·
7,713 Posts
Precision Power is another US brand that lost their ways over the past decade, like Soundstream. Resurrected, I don't think they are the brand they used to be. Much like old skool Soundstream gear is superior to new, I would expect the same of Precision Power.

Not that amplifier technology is 'difficult' these days. It's very easy to produce a very good amplifier. Just hard to produce an exceptional one. So probably no valid reason to avoid SS or Precision Power; only my own perceptions. Having said that, I'd still go with the JBL!

I used 3mm mdf wood for my door panels. Painted with some undercoat to make them moisture-proof. Then Dynamat across the top. The panels are not critical; you'd achieve 95% of the benefit using only sound deadener stuck across the holes; most sound deadener is reasonably rigid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you on the amp technology so the JBL is definitely the best option as it has quite a lot of controllable filtering etc so should be quite tuneable and it's cheaper than the PP as well. It's a discontinued model now but reading the reviews I can't find one negative about it other than it has a largish footprint!!

So I guess that settles my choices really, now just a case of putting it all together and enjoying my music. Now if I can just get the hang of HK's road network then not hearing the irritating voice of my satnav over the music won't be a problem!!

Thanks again for your help Shiny, It's much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts