Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question guys, our 156 has a little issue that is growing more common. Basically if you are partaking in some spirited driving, sometimes the clutch pedal seems to stick for a fraction of a second when you push it down. This makes the car sort of lurch forward as the pedal stays down and then springs up to meet your foot when you lift off it trying to feed it in gently. It only happens when you've pressed the pedal down quickly and not all the time. We've checked it isnt getting stuck under a mat or anything daft like that, so does this mean the cable is on the way out. The actual clutch isnt slipping so hoping its an easy (cheap) fix!

Has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Hi,

The clutch is hydraulic (I presume - I'm going by the petrol versions), so a cable problem is unlikely.

My clutch pedal clicks slightly sometimes, but I've not bothered to investigate it...can't recall noticing it recently, actually.

I'd begin by looking at the pedal-end. Check the pins/bolts/springs look healthy and haven't started working themselves loose. I'm sure I've seen a thread about the hinge pin/bolt becoming loose....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok, so now i look silly sorry didnt realise its hydraulic.... Thanks will check all the connections on the pedal end more thoroughly.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
IMO you need a new slave cylinder.

I had the same problem on a 145QV and the slave rod was starting to corrode.

Luckily you have a Diesel as the slave is on top of the gearbox. On petrol 156's the box needs to come off to fit it, as its inside the bell housing. (stupid design)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts