Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as per the title really.

My climate control is duff me thinks.

set at 17C or 18C and it will not regulate, it just runs constant hot, the only way to get cold is to set the system to "LO" with the A/C running.

What could it be??? the unit? the sensor? or something else.

Will be pouring petrol over the car eventually........... Damn thing

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
It is probably in cabin temperature sensor that is the issue.
If you have a laptop with MultiECUscan and the correct OBD interface, you could connect to the climate control and se what temperature the sensor sends to the control.
I would assume the control gets a too low temperature feedback from the sensor.

Is your 156 a Ph1 or Ph2?
The Ph2 usally had dual zone climate control

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 156. It was the servo that controls the air flap that mixes the hot and cold air. I made several attempts to get it working which initially seemed successful but after a day or two the problem would reoccur - hot air only. I finally "solved" the problem by removing the gear wheel between the servo motor and the actuator arm and clamping a short lever to the spindle. I now adjust the position of the air flap manually. A total bodge but the car's worth b****r all and the ac now works well enough.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Well, as per the title really.

My climate control is duff me thinks.

set at 17C or 18C and it will not regulate, it just runs constant hot, the only way to get cold is to set the system to "LO" with the A/C running.

What could it be??? the unit? the sensor? or something else.

Will be pouring petrol over the car eventually........... Damn thing
Mines like this. It worked correctly when the aircon had gas although this could be a coincidence. Fortunately, the windows are still functioning.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Have you disconnected the battery recently? On the dual zone climate it goes through a calibration thing when power is reconnected. If you touch the cc when it's doing this it can get screwed up. Worth disconnecting the battery for a while then reconnect and leave it to sort itself out. If you're lucky, it might fix it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know there is a sequence the batt reconnect but have never tried or know of the method......... If somebody could shed some light on that.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I know there is a sequence the batt reconnect but have never tried or know of the method......... If somebody could shed some light on that.
Not really a sequence. Make sure the ignition is off. Then disconnect the lead closest to the bumper. A small spanner is needed to undo the grip on the round terminal. No need to touch the other terminal. Leave for 1hr.

Doubt if this will work but it can't do any harm as long as you have the code for the radio.

When you turn the ignition on don't initially start the car until you can't hear any clicking or whirring going on. This is the climate control calibrating itself (i think). Once all is quiet start the car but don't touch the throttle pedal. Leave the car to tick over for 10mins. This has nothing to do with the aircon but resets the throttle position sensor (maybe). Lots of people claim this procedure can pretty much fix anything!

My aircon behaves in the exact same way as yours. I have presumed it is because my car has no gas and so the compressor never actually runs despite the light on the controls illuminating. Check your compressor. You should hear it engaging on the aux belt and even get a little fluctuation in engine speed as it starts. My thinking is that no gas is enough to put the climate control in a spin and hence I only have hot or cold regardless of the outside temperature. That is: you would assume that if it is 10oC outside the air con wouldn't be needed to operate an internal car temperature of 18oC. However, I think the compressor is needed or your only options are hot or cold.

I'm happy to be proved wrong on this as it would be nice to set the car at a temperature rather than swapping between 17 and low all the time without having to find and repair the leak in my aircon.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Not really a sequence. Make sure the ignition is off. Then disconnect the lead closest to the bumper. A small spanner is needed to undo the grip on the round terminal. No need to touch the other terminal. Leave for 1hr.

Doubt if this will work but it can't do any harm as long as you have the code for the radio.

When you turn the ignition on don't initially start the car until you can't hear any clicking or whirring going on. This is the climate control calibrating itself (i think).
Keep key out of ignition.
Reconnect battery and don't do anything until the flaps have sorted themselves out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts