Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

So i fitted a K&N Induction kit as the top of my stock air box & intake pipe were screwed (Plus i wanted the better sound).

To me, the place where K&N advise you to install the filter is in a very stupid position (right infront of the MAF).

I thought the the kit would come with a pipe allowing the filter to be mounted in a cooler place (i did want to put the filter in the original air box)

It must be sucking in hot air in the position they advise and this was confirmed when i opened the bonet after a drive and the filter & metal cap was very hot.

I am considering getting a longer chrome intake pipe made which will run from the MAF down into the air box with the filter at the bottom (there will be no lid on the air box).

Will getting a metal intake pipe aid the air temperature (By dissipating heat and cooling the pipe) or will it attract more heat from the engine and increase air temperature even more??

Thanks for anyone that can advise.

Matt!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It will attract more heat. Get yourself some Samco hosing of the correct size and put the filter in a better area.

Better still, get rid of the K&N, they have been known to knacker the MAF if you over oil the filter. CDA with BMC safer.

Another way is to get a second hand good OEM airbox and fit it with an Apexi filter. One guy did this on his V6 (think he is REDD) on another forum.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your saying a £25 Apexi filter is better than a £90 K&N? or is it just the fact that the K&N may damage the MAF?

I might strip out all of the original air box and go the CDA route. Do you think it will be better using the original air intake feed (after taking off resonator) or putting in a new air intake at the front in the grill.

Don't the CDA's suck in water?...it looks like they will?

Thanks for the advise

·
Registered
253 Posts
Better still, get rid of the K&N, they have been known to knacker the MAF if you over oil the filter. CDA with BMC safer.
CDA uses cotton gauze that is oiled too, which makes it from the filtration material and oiling no different to the CDA.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The Apexi filter is known to be one of the best filters - £25 is just for the filter, you also need an adapter and pipework which would work out at about £50 all together.

On a TS there should be enough space under the wheel arch if you wanted to fit it there and remove the original air box completely or fit it into the original air box. Alfa use the wheel arch area as the cold feed for the air box as it is high up out of water and air is blown in through the area around the headlight and the grill in the front spoiler.

A long length of hose could be used to link a filter under the wheel arch up to the engine. I think you can actually run a hose through the top of the wheel arch area behind the headlight but on a Selespeed there is the reservoir and pipe work there.

The bumper is off my Selespeed at the moment if you need some pics of that area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts