Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, 2003 52 Reg 156 TS Veloce 1.8.
Just had a Cambelt snap, I'm in the middle of a desperate attempt to find out if the belt has previously been replaced, I have owned the car since Jan 08 with 71k on clock, service history book up to date (60k), there is no info of what was done at each service. Reg Vardy stockport are no longer there, Evans Hallshaw took over so the only info they gave me was the price they paid for each service, 2005/06 spent £3,785:wow: . What I need to know really is... What type, make, part No the Original 156 2002/03 cambelts were fitted to these vehicles.
My mechanical breakdown insurance will not cover me if the belt was not replaced, but looking at the belt, it looks pretty new.
Got a quote for the whoe job including engine rebuild £700-£800.
:rant: :cry: :eek:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi all, 2003 52 Reg 156 TS Veloce 1.8.
Just had a Cambelt snap, I'm in the middle of a desperate attempt to find out if the belt has previously been replaced, I have owned the car since Jan 08 with 71k on clock, service history book up to date (60k), there is no info of what was done at each service. Reg Vardy stockport are no longer there, Evans Hallshaw took over so the only info they gave me was the price they paid for each service, 2005/06 spent £3,785:wow: . What I need to know really is... What type, make, part No the Original 156 2002/03 cambelts were fitted to these vehicles.
My mechanical breakdown insurance will not cover me if the belt was not replaced, but looking at the belt, it looks pretty new.
Got a quote for the whoe job including engine rebuild £700-£800.
:rant: :cry: :eek:

Thanks

£3785. What the hell was that service. jeez. sounds more like an engine rebuild at a dealer or something along those lines.
As for the rebuild quote. Snap there hand off. That is a very very good quote.
Just make sure they rebuild the bottom end.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Even if the belt was changed at 36,000 or three years, like it is now required the belt was due again for change at 72,000 so when you bought the car it was about due. Very good quote though considering the work which will have to be done and parts replaced.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The car should now be on its third belt as Joss states, but that quote will only be for the top end rebuild, you still need the big end shells replacing, if the quote includes that, then even I would be pushed to do it for less.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, Yes the quote includes everything - Top and Bottom. As my Insurance Policy covers me for £1000 for each claim, the garage (Which I chose) are even throwing in some other stuff to round it to a grand, New variator and plugs and stuff, so for a grand that is pretty good!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to update, I have stripped off the cambelt cover to expose the belts and pullys, The main pully was stiff which suggested bottom end seize, however after cutting off the Aux belt it appears the problem is with the alternator. It has siezed up thus shearing approx 25 teeth off of the Cambelt, thus causing top end damage.
On a lighter note the Alternator is covered on my Mechanical Breakdown Insurance, and all subsequent damage caused by it's failure.
Its goin in on Fri!!
Check your Alternators regular:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts