Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had my 156 2.0ts (2000 model) for about a month now and reading through the forum i see that cambelt changes are a high priority for this car.
I have a friend that is an extremely competent ex-mechanic (retired due to health issues) that has offered to do the belt change for me. He has looked at the links and how to's on here and said he should be able to do the job quite easily.
What I want to know is which is the most cost effective way to get this done, as I dont know what the costs involved are?
Should I buy the parts and necessary tools myself and get him to do the job or would the cost be no different if I got a garage to do the work (and benefit from a warranty on the work)?

If its the latter can anyone recommend a good garage in the County Durham area (I'd be prepared to go further north as far as Newcastle if needed)?

The car has done 106k miles and the belt was last changed at 52k, also the car was off the road for best part of a year before I put it back on the road, so I guess it should be my immediate priority?

Thanks in advance of any advice, Craig.

G

·
0 Posts
QSP in Ferryhill Quicksale tyres, they specialize in Alfa's and do a lot of work for our local members on here.
One hell of a good reputation too:thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I priced up my cambelt change and it was cheaper to go to AutoLusso than do-it-myself ... they might be a bit far for you and I'd try and keep the mileage down on a 54K belt (I'm hoping it was done in between and you don't have the proof!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I priced up my cambelt change and it was cheaper to go to AutoLusso than do-it-myself ... they might be a bit far for you and I'd try and keep the mileage down on a 54K belt (I'm hoping it was done in between and you don't have the proof!)
I know the previous 2 owners, the first of which had it done at 52k. Unfortunately it hasn't had it done since..:cry:

Also it was your useful site (as well as 1 or 2 others) that my mechanic mate looked at to get an idea of any specific knowledge needed for to do my car (his experience with Alfas is limited) so thanks for that:thumbs:

@ Rockhopper, I had big plans for the car ( I have already spent a bit on her) until I read through this forum and realized about the 36k belt changes, I'm just hoping she keeps going until I rake enough cash together to get it done..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts