Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
well its happened my worst nightmare.
my 156 sw cambelt has gone.:cry: im trying to decide if its going to be worth getting it sorted. has anybody any idea of what kind of cost it would be?
its a 51 plate 156 1.6 tspark sw, 120k on the clock.

so looking at how much and roughly how long the job takes .
cheers kev

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Got mine repaired by Clovertech back in 2006 for £1500
Took about a week in all, getting parts in and sending the head off to be checked and skimmed etc.

R

·
0 Posts
Where about in the country are you so someone can recommend a indie near to you :thumbs:
As a rough guide Autolusso offer a repair to your engine for £850 or a full replacement fitted for £1500 with a 3y guarantee :(

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Where about in the country are you so someone can recommend a indie near to you :thumbs:
As a rough guide Autolusso offer a repair to your engine for £850 or a full replacement fitted for £1500 with a 3y guarantee :(
Shame they weren't back in Feb 2006 :mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im in the leicester area.
just out of interest what actual work can i expect to be done? will the head be skimmed or is it likely they will just replace?. and what level of damage could have been caused? dont want to get it in somewhere and then be told its caused more damage than first thought.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have done a few now and it depends - some have had just a couple of bent valves - others several. Dont forget that the big end shells will have to be done as well otherwise you will knock out the crankshaft in very short order. I have used second hand heads skimmed them and have done the job very economically ie about £ 300.00 but it is a long job

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have done a few now and it depends - some have had just a couple of bent valves - others several. Dont forget that the big end shells will have to be done as well otherwise you will knock out the crankshaft in very short order. I have used second hand heads skimmed them and have done the job very economically ie about £ 300.00 but it is a long job
Do tell how you managed to do it for £300 when parts alone will add up to more.

·
Registered
301 Posts
second hand head £80.00 - skimming £35.00 belt belt and tensioner £ 95.00 head gasket £ 35.00 bearing shells £ 30.00 oil and filter etc or use the head off a scrap car.
I said I could do the job for £ 300.00 not that I would do it for £ 300.00

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh bad news :eek: Ours went on the 146 it cost us around £600.00 to get that fixed and took them ages. We had new belts on the 156 because the cog thing that they run round was falling to bits - that wasn't as expensive, but still quite a long job - best of luck with yours :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts