Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group, Just bought a 156 after getting rid of my GTV.I have a few questions.The car is red but the bumpers have faded to a pink!is there any way these can be restored back to their original colour without a respray? also the car has done 35K on the last replacement cambelt,is it due a cambelt again?
Appreciate any advice on these,
Paul

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
No to paint, respray, and yes ... urgently! TS change is 36K or three years now.

You might as well get the water pump changed as well as this is a cambelt change job if it starts to leak. What about the variator? Does it sound like a diesel when started from cold? If yes, get that replaced too.

Whats the age and mileage?

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
OK. I'd get cambelt done as quick as you can and get the water pump changed. Mine failed at around 120K ... (2.0 TS) ... slow leak.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Just to say that my red 156 has the same colour fade / pink front bumper problem. Oddly, the back bumper looks fine. When I first got the car at 60K miles, a quick wash and polish used to help the front bumper colour a lot, but now at nearly 150K miles no amount of washing, cutting or waxing helps and I have tried many different products. So I think a respray is the only answer.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Back bumper could be a more recent addition ... ;)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Back bumper could be a more recent addition ... ;)
That's always a possibility, but I don't think it has been changed. I think it's more likely that the previous owner parked the car on a driveway so the car pointed south towards the sun :) It seems that all red cars are prone to fading - not just Alfas. If I buy another red one I will be looking for some kind of sealer to put on it to try and prevent the problem.

Does anyone know of a good but cheap bodyshop around the Bristol area that could tidy the car up for me?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts