Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I posted this in the ireland section,

but I guess people will know more here...

can anyone see the difference between the first two sets of pads and is there a rear pad sensor on a 2005 156 1.6l?

Ok... I am looking at brake pads for my car...
There are two "Mintex Brake pad set (Full set for 2 wheels)" sets with integrated sensors and there is 1 euro in the difference. the more expensive says it is suitable "
from construction year 03/2000" Mintex Brake pad set (Full set for 2 wheels) for ALFA ROMEO 156 (932) 1.6 1 (1721060) and the other says that it is suitable from
from VET Number 383456"
Mintex Brake pad set (Full set for 2 wheels) for ALFA ROMEO 156 (932) 1.6 1 (1721059)
Any idea what a vet number is? Like VIN? or which one I should go for?

Also is there a wear sensor on the back pads? Cant see the option in micksgarage?
Only this one
Mintex Brake pad set (Full set for 2 wheels) for ALFA ROMEO 156 (932) 1.6 1 (1215263)

·
Registered
30,332 Posts
Rears do not have a sensor.

Front pads are different depending on if yours is an early 1.6 with solid front discs or a later 1.6 with vented front discs.

There was also a change with the vented set when the fronts reduced from a sensor on both sides to just a sensor on one side.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my car is a 2005 so its later, but they are solid, not vented>?????

What kind of life should I expect from the disks? My car has 68k on it and I doubt they have already been changed...

No sensors on the back? that will explain the squealing so :)

·
Registered
30,332 Posts
I'm sure that @ 68000miles that they are not the original discs.

and are you sure they are solid front discs...?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well, i am almost certain they are not drilled... thought they had a little pitting.... I'll have to recheck... damn!

·
Registered
30,332 Posts
Well, i am almost certain they are not drilled... thought they had a little pitting.... I'll have to recheck... damn!
ok... maybe they are vented, I think I'm getting confused.
You are not the first person on here to get drilled & vented confused!

Only 1.6/1.8TS & 1.9JTD got the solid front discs and they changed to the same vented discs as the bigger engines in 2001.
The calipers & pads are different as well as the discs.

·
Administrator
88,608 Posts

I just changed my original front discs a few months ago at 110K km (just over 68K mls) & they were just above the minimum thickness of 20mm.
The rears were also changed at the same time as they were also down to the minimum thickness of 9mm.

Bobdonny here's a link to what your OEM front vented disc should look like Front Vented Standard Discs 1.6/1.8/2.0/2.5/1.9jtd/2.4jtd (284mm) parts and spares

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep they are vented, so which of the original linked pads suit?

they also look old, so I figure I should change them... New pads and disks all around is gonna be priicey!! Damn :( anyone know if its cheaper to buy parts individually or is there a kit option.

thanks david, they are the same as mine allright.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yep they are vented, so which of the original linked pads suit?

they also look old, so I figure I should change them... New pads and disks all around is gonna be priicey!! Damn :( anyone know if its cheaper to buy parts individually or is there a kit option.

thanks david, they are the same as mine allright.
Try Euro Car Parts | The UK's Number 1 Provider of Car Parts Online and In Store - it's £178.75 delivered (with promo code parts20) for Pagid discs/pads all round which isn't too bad IMO.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just ordered but to be safe I've been asked what is the name on the calipers?
E.g. who made the brakes fitted to car in the factory?

any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts