Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently managed to get my headunit working in my car that i bought but now there is no sound coming out of the speakers? I have tried fitting another head unit only to find that the same thing happens. Can some help my find out why? Is it because my amp has blown or could it be something else?
I have taken all my sub and amp apart and followed the wires back but cant see any problem or loose wires. When my head unit is connected and playing it sometimes gets really hot and turns itself off which is why i think it might be an amp problems but wanted someone who might know a little more about it to confirm.
Also if it is an amp problems does anyone know where i can find spare parts as i have had a look on ebay and i couldnt find anything.

Thanks
Kai

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you trace the wires all the way to each speaker?

The reason I ask is because had a similar problem suspecting that some channels on the amp had been blown. It turned out to be a loose speaker wire on one of the front door speakers which was grounding on another piece of metal. The can-bus system shuts the unit down to protect the amp I am told. Popped the wire back on and presto, speakers and sub working again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt trace it back to all the speakers so i will try that.

Thanks

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
as above, i was going to ask if you've connected up the 'booster' wire to the Bose amp. in the factory system, this wire comes from the yellow mini-ISO plug, and triggers the amp on/off.

if you fit an aftermarket headunit, you need to connect the 'remote out' wire (usually blue/white) to this booster wire.

:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

I have looked at all the wires but not traced them back to the speakers yet which i will try. The only thing that i keep hearing is the sub and amp making a clicking sound when i turn it on/off which i would have thought it is sending a signal to turn it on or maybe im wrong? I have had a look at the back of my head unit and all the connectors are conected and there isnt any loose wires? I will try the wires to the speakers and see if that works otherwise im really dont know?
P.s Is it a common fault for the amp to blow on these units? I also for got to say that my car is a 2002 model.

Thanks

·
7,713 Posts
what model headunits are you using?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why was the head unit not working before and what did you have to do to make it work?

You could try bypassing the bose amp by removing its fuse (for safety) and connecting the speakers directly. This is possible by removing the connector on the bose amp and making the appropriate connections in it to send the speaker signals from the headunit directly to the speakers. I can dig out a wiring diagram if you want. I am not sure by how much the +ve pin in the back of the headunit reduces the output, so you may need to disconnect this.

If the head unit is getting very hot (units normally run hot) and cutting out I would suspect that somewhere the outputs are shorting. It could also be excessive drawing of current on the trigger lines to external amp/aerial/BT adapter.

I have some spare BOSE items I took out of my car if you are interested. Amp, sub (saloon) and 1 pair of speakers.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi alexace,

Thanks i will keep an eye on your items. The unit wasnt working when i bought it and i managed to trace the code for it, when i entered the code the head unit worked but the speakers didnt work. It then started to over heat and turn itself off and then i would have to leave it for about 20 mins before i could turn it back on again. I am going to check all the wires to the speakers to ensure that they all are conected and that they arent shorting it out.
It would be useful if you could pass on that wiring diagram so i can trace each wire and find out what is going on. Also the head unit not has started to stop overheating and turning off but still no sound?
I dont have the car with me at the moment as the wiper motor has gone so i am awaitning one that i bought to arrive then fit it and then i will be able to take it to my work unit to have a good look at it.

Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Alexace,

Thanks for the wiring diagrams, did the job and now i have found out it is my amp that is not working properly. I have noticed that you said that you have a spare amp how much do you want for it?

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi i hope you know the solution for my problem. I have a 2002 ar 156 with bose system and original head unit. When i start it from cold it plays couple of songs from the cd, but after that it just throws out cd error and ejects the cd. If i try to play the same tracks when its cool again it plays it with no problem.
I can listen to radio with no problem. Any suggestions?

·
7,713 Posts
Err, not sure how your question relates to the original question about the Bose speaker problem.

But, simple, your headunit is faulty.

As to exactly what is wrong, I am unsure. It could be a fried diode or transport mechanism failure, or laser failure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
There was a mention that the head unit was overheating somewhere. But yeah, i probably shouldve opened a new one. Sorry about the confusion and thank you for your answer.
I will try to find a replacement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts