Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my 156 tonight. Before handing over the money I thoroughly looked the car over, under the bonnet etc and then drove the 20 miles home, the bonnet latched closed fine.

Fast forward to getting home, opened the bonnet to top up the washer fluid however now the bonnet won't match closed.

I have lubrictaed both parts of the mechanism and both move freely, the handle in the car is also in the closed position when trying to close it yet still doesn't catch.

It feels as if there isn't enough travel on the bonnet to get it far enough down to latch.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Drop it from high up with a good slam. Always check it's closed properly as some owners have had it open while driving and smash the windscreen and roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that but it didn't work, I'll try again in the morning.

I greased the whole catch and I know the mechanism moves freely enough, it just seems as if it's slightly to short on the action to latch.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Check the hinge side is all good. There are also some foam blobs near the hinges that might be pinching and a few other pieces of rubber and trim that might get in the way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine won't close reliably unless I push the bonnet release catch under the steering wheel back to its start position first. Cable's catching inside its sheath or something.

Edit: sorry, I see you've already covered that in your initial post!

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Effectively there are 3 parts to the mechanism - the safety catch (just spring-loaded), the main catch, and the latch which holds the main catch engaged. Its usually this last one that gets sticky and causes the problems. Best to remove the mechanism completely to thoroughly clean and lubricate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts