Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have tried searching this forum, google and elswhere - either I am looking for the wrong phrase or I am being stupid. Please feel free to bounce me to a new thread if I have missed something already here.

My (most pressing) problem with my 1998 Alfa 156 2.5 Auto is that the key is stuck in the ignition. Car works fine, and I have a spare key to lock with, but it is a real pain not being able to remove the ignition key. Eveery garage I go to tells me that it is a common problem but will cost 350 quid to fix - frankly I have already spent a small fortune keeping my 156 going and this is looking like the last straw. Is there a way to realease the key? If I strip down the ignition will I be able to release it somehow, or am i then going to get issues with the imobiliser etc all starting to play up?

Thanks for andy advise you can give
l

V

·
0 Posts
Try squirting a small amount of WD-40 carefully down the side of the key while jiggling the key gently in the hole?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - i'll give it a go, feels like something retaining the key, but i havent tried the wonders of WD40 on it yet incase it screwed somethign electrical. I'll give it a go!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
at the side of the steering barrel on my old 156 was a black button, its not really a button shape but u will see it, its the thing u push in so u can turn ignition further and get key out to leave park lights on. see if that will maybe help get keys out?
my ignition switch a few years ago had the problem that u couldnt put park lights on and it is a MOT fail....10 mins of wd40 and wiggling and jiggling got the thing fixed..........no electrical connections in there, they are after the barrel of the lock

Gary

N

·
0 Posts
Normally you can't take the key out of an auto on most cars
if it's not in neutral.

maybe a problem with the gear selector...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts