Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it mentioned more than once on here that 156 and 159 front fogs are the same. Having googled a bit they look the same...but have different part numbers. Can anyone confirm that they are interchangeable..or not. 156 fogs are literally half the price...so even if they are not 100% identical, as long as they fit properly that will do...they will certainly look better than fast yellowing rusty ones! I look forward to your replies. Dean.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I got new fogs for my 159 from ebay, not expensive at all. Might be worth comparing.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Same here, £56 a pair from ebay, it was a link on here that I used.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I have to agree, they do look very similar indeed. So long as you buy from a supplier where you can return, it must be worth a go.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes, they're the same.

I replaced the broken fogs in my new 159, last week, with spare (new) units we had for a 156. They took 1/2 hour to fit and bolted straight in. I looked at them carefully and couldn't find any difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know the answer, but you'd be surprised how many identical Hella fog units end up in completely different cars. When I was looking for some Astra VXR front fogs they were really, really expensive. Eventually I found the Hella part number (as opposed to the GM one) and it turned out they were also fitted to a bunch of Fords, but with a much lower price tag.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I'm getting a pair of fogs from autodoc.co.uk from Berlin. They are TYC brand which I'm told Imperial Panels (body parts to the motor trade supply).
They cost £12.86 each.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty good. I just got mine for £16.98 each....I should have looked harder LOL!

·
Registered
16 Posts
.....yes but the identical looking 156 ones are £33.95 a pair inc delivery!!....but are they the same?? Googling seems to say that most people say yes....but one or two say no! Just want to be sure.

See here..... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-156-1998-2003-FRONT-FOG-LIGHT-LAMPS-1-PAIR-O-S-N-S/351371726403?hash=item51cf630e43:g:H44AAOSwMvtZPYRz
I bought a pair of these for my Brera, and they fit:
-The external housing including the mounting bracket and electrical plug is identical
-There are detail differences with the glass and reflector, so there is a minor difference (beyond the obvious effect of ageing) between the broken light I replaced and the original one I have left on the other side, so I will probably replace the other side fairly soon.
-There is also a bolt dangling from the bottom of the unit which is slightly different but this doesn't affect the fitting, and even if it did you could probably just transfer the old bolt to the new unit.

In other words, it will be fine if you order a pair and replace both, but if you're looking for a single replacement to match an existing unit your mileage may very.

Thanks for the tip, I'm very happy to have got 2 lights for the price of one!

·
Registered
721 Posts
difference is minor with front glass shape - see comparison picture

but they are fine & compatible. I used actually fogs designated for one of Fiats Croma or Doblo, can't remember (the same glass shape like 156s just different mounting bracket). 156 difference as far as I heard is only different mounting bracket - I resued old from 159. I fitted them around 8 years ago and they did well, and still in the car (seen the car week ago).

I'm adding a few other pictures to show how to get to the fogs (eLearn was saying to remove bottom engine cover etc - big work which can't be done easily without garage), where it is possible to do it way faster and easier and without garage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
difference is minor with front glass shape - see comparison picture

but they are fine & compatible. I used actually fogs designated for one of Fiats Croma or Doblo, can't remember (the same glass shape like 156s just different mounting bracket). 156 difference as far as I heard is only different mounting bracket - I resued old from 159. I fitted them around 8 years ago and they did well, and still in the car (seen the car week ago).

I'm adding a few other pictures to show how to get to the fogs (eLearn was saying to remove bottom engine cover etc - big work which can't be done easily without garage), where it is possible to do it way faster and easier and without garage.
With a bit of digging around the catalogue from the manufacturer of my 156 lights (DEPO) I have also spotted that the 156 specification changed in 2003. The lights I received are the pre-2003 version which probably explains why they are so much cheaper. The later version is more similar to the 159/Brera spec.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have a 99 and a 05 156.
The later car has more vertical pattern lines in the reflector. The beam seems more diffused to the sides.

I've decided I prefer the earlier, plainer reflectors. I think they stand out more and make the fog lamps more obvious. Other than that, the only negative I can see with the TYC lamps is I needed to use a small screwdriver to position the terminal pins of the multi plug to fit the connector of the JTS.
Minor issue...

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep..fitted mine today...look much better than original 159 ones...they dont have all the front to back lines in the bottom of the reflector...much cleaner look.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wanted to convert them in to daylichtrunning lights, never have to use them at all. Was wondering if that is possible?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wanted to convert them in to daylichtrunning lights, never have to use them at all. Was wondering if that is possible?
Yes...easily done. They even sell twin led bulbs that double up as both. Drls in the daytime then work (and turn on and off) as fogs when you turn on your headlight when you are not allowed Drl's anyway....although I see a lot of them at night....doubtless fitted by those that don't know the law..or wiring! I looked at using them..but I have recently fitted daytime running lights (wired to turn off when side/head lights come on lol) so had no need of them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
https://www.hansen-styling-parts.de/epages/63246837.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63246837/Categories/Tagfahrlichter_mit_Nebelscheinwerfer/Alfa_Romeo

Looks rather nice, as if stock? Not a bargain though...

My experience with stock fog lights is that usually they keep in good nick as long as you don’t turn them on :scratchchin:
Once you actually use them in fog conditions, it seems they condensate and the reflector finishing quickly starts to detoriate to an almost yellow base coat.

Only reason I would like to fit them is to save the Xenon bulbs that also quite quickly wear due to numbe4 of starts and hours in service. As I live in a rural area with lots of opposite traffic lanes, I prefer to keep lights on for safety. When they were just H4 or H1 bulbs that was fine, but the Xenon bulbs are no joke to buy just as frequently.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So having read this useful thread I ordered a pair of 156 fogs, when they arrived I thought they looked a little large.
I measured the front part of the glass and they are about 8.5cm compared with the 7.5cm original ones fitted to my Spider. Did I get the wrong 156 fogs, should they be new shape 156, or old shape, pre '03?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine were the newer shape...exactly the same size....The only difference was the lens was slightly flatter....but it looked much better as it was clear.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine were the newer shape...exactly the same size....The only difference was the lens was slightly flatter....but it looked much better as it was clear.
Thanks for reply, I wonder if the lamps I got weren't for a 156 after all? They were definitely larger than the Spider ones, I didn't even try and fit them they would not have gone in. I don't suppose you have a link to the ones you got?
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts