Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to get shot for asking this, but i have an amplifier i'd like to install in my 156 to run a small sub. I like my music but the speakers aren't up to the job. I'm not one of those noisy saxo nobs, i just like a little bit of bass that the standard speakers aren't able to provide.

Has anyone installed an amp wiring kit in their 156? And if so, where is the best place to route through from the engine bay into the cabin? I've noticed a couple of Bose rear Subs on ebay for the 156 but am i right in thinking these are only for a Bose system on a facelift?

Thanks in advance

·
Vendor
46,251 Posts
Don't buy a Bose rear sub/amp. A generic one will be better & cheaper. A sub with a built in amp is probably a good idea for compactness. I had one wired in on my first 156, but I didn't fit it myself. The main power wire for the amp went through a gromet under the N/S scuttle panel, and down the N/S sill to floor join just under the carpet. Just by adding a good sub/amp and replacing the head unit for a decent JVC 4 x 50watt with sub-out, it totally transformed the sound quality. It is better infact, than the same head unit powering the Bose system in my current 156.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, i was hoping it would be routed through the N/S firewall, less distance for the power cable to travel :)

I've already replaced the standard headunit with a Sony BT3700 as i need bluetooth, even with the EQ set up, it still sounds flat on bass.

I had the same HU in my old Vectra, and i kept the amp, sub, and wiring to transfer into my next car if needed, which it is now.

I've no problems installing the wiring, just wondered on the routing.

Incidentally, where is best to earth it in thr rear cabin?

·
Vendor
46,251 Posts
I can't remember where mine was earthed in the back.. I don't think you will have a problem finding somewhere though.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I'm probably going to get shot for asking this
:confused: Why? I don't understand. But happy to have a pot shot anyway. :D

In my old TS 156, I found a grommet under the windscreen wiper trim piece, infront of the glovebox. Same in a 147/GT. However, this grommet may be utilised in a JTD, but have a look.

The one I used was a big black rubber grommet about 2" diameter. You can pull it off the firewall then drill/cut a hole for your powerwire. Directly behind the firewall is some sound deadening material, that you can drill through. It opens into a vacant area infront of the globebox. From inside the cabin, on the floor and looking up (awkward), you will see the area behind the glovebox (remove the little footwell trim piece if there is one).

Once you've fed the wire behind the glovebox, remove the plastic door sills, and run the wire under the edge of the carpet. You'll need to remove the rear seat lower squab, then feed into the boot.

:)

M

·
0 Posts
Bose are overpriced tat, in the living room, in the clock radio, in everywhere they pollute... including cars. :tut:

A set of average halfords 'factory fit' speakers (I used alpine type-e) to replace the stock ones, and a 200w rms sealed 'active' sub is all a 156 needs.

Spend the money on the speakers, and the change on the sub. Then pop out the plastic flap for the ski-hatch to let air flow from the boot to the cabin and buy a cheap and cheerful all in one sub/amp.

Vibe/Fli do some decent ones for around the £100 mark... or they have a budget brand called Edge which is more than adequate to add a wee bit of beef. I have their 10" one, cost £60 and does the job more than adequately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EDB10A-E1-E...ofer-Enclosure/dp/B0031HUI4W/ref=pd_cp_auto_3 I got mine from a local shop and haggled them down to 60 notes for cash.

The wiring was there when I got the car though so I cant help much with that :rolleyes: Except - make sure the power/remote cables run down one side of the car and the RCA down the other, without any crossing of wires. Especially important if you go for cheap cables (you wont need anything special for that kind of sub).

·
Registered
222 Posts
For the earth, I ran the cable under the carpet from the spare wheel well, up to one of the nuts that hold in the stop/tail/indicator sections of the rear lamps. Its tricky (trying not the damage the carpet) but try to use a wire brush on the metal work there to ensure good electrical contact.

·
7,713 Posts
There may actually be a factory earth bolt in that area, so have a look, both sides of the boot.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my attempt at doing this today got as far as removing the glovebox to find there's an ECU and the fan assembly for the climate control. Very little room to find any kind of entry point for the power cable :(

Anyone got any ideas? :(

·
Registered
768 Posts
I fitted one on my mates 156 a few week ago, pull back the carpet and soundproofing below the glovebox.

There should be a rubber gromit there which leads to the engine bay, it comes out the back right corner I looking from the front quite low down small arms make it easier getting it!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, i'll have another pop at it next weekend. I think shiney_car mentioned it earlier, i think i've looked in the wrong place lol

·
Banned
537 Posts
no need to remove the glovebox.

remove the trim under the wipers and you will find that hole. then run the wire through it and you will have acces to it from the footwell.

it's dead easy. good luck!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Attempt #3, Status: Failed

Progress report:
So, i've pulled the carpet back as suggested, cannot find this Gromet. Also had the scuttle panel off under the wipers, and couldn't find anywhere for it to go :confused: On the plus side, i did find out the pollen filter is caked and needs replacing :)

I don't suppose one of you wonderful people could take a pic of your wiring route from the battery through the firewall and the "behind the carpet" location?

Much appreciated :)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
On my 156 (LHD), under the scuttle panel, there is a hose coming out of a grommet, I think its the drain for the sunroof. I just used that grommet and ran the cable through there, I assume RHD will be pretty similar

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have a sunroof :(

·
7,713 Posts
Let's try and clarify this! :D

OK, the grommet is behind the glovebox area BUT easiest to access it from inside the engine bay/under the windscreen wiper plastic scuttle trim piece. The grommet could be in use, depending upon LHD/RHD, and I think Selespeed or possibly diesel, which I notice you have.

I used to have a photo, but can't find it. However, it should be in a similar location to my GT; the GT kinda has a double-wall setup, but not in the 156 IIRC:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/290869214.jpg

When you remove the grommet (which makes it easier to pierce and put a hole in it for the wiring), you should find some cotton-like sound deadener behind it. You need to also go through this, and can use a hobby knife or similar; beyond the sound deadener is the area behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Yeah thats the same place as mine but mine has a hose sticking out of it :p

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll see if i can get a picture under the scuttle panel on mine, it looks totally different to the linked image :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To clarify, this mysterious grommet i'm looking for on the 156 RHD, is on the passenger side under the windscreen scuttle panel?

Is it in use already for wiring to the cabin?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
From another site.........

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts