Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Off to the Alps in 3 weeks in my 156 2.4JTD Veloce (2) Sportswagon.

I am running 16" alloys with 205/55/R16 tyres. The manual states that snow chains cannot be used with this tyre/wheel size so;-

A) Has anyone got a set of 15" alloys and tyres they would like to sell or hire out for one weeks use? (I live in Derbyshire)
B) Alternatively how good are snow socks? can they be used instead of snow chains in france or is it compulsory to use snow chains?
C) Winter tyres, are they any good and would they still require the use of snow chains in certain conditions?
D) Does anyone know if low profile 9mm snow chains could be used with my current 16" wheels/tyres?

Any advice would be much appreciated from all my fellow Alfa enthusiasts out there :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Later manuals had this re snowchains on 16":
"Tyres on which chains can be fitted: use snow chains with reduced size with max. protrusion beyond the tyre profile of 9 mm."

So, you can use chains on 16", but low profile ones.

·
Registered
72 Posts
B) Alternatively how good are snow socks? can they be used instead of snow chains in france or is it compulsory to use snow chains?

Any advice would be much appreciated from all my fellow Alfa enthusiasts out there :thumbs:
I'm looking into this too for my GT and I am pretty sure that snow chains are compulsory in the French Alps and NOT snow socks, they are not permitted
Hope that helps
Cat

·
Registered
24 Posts
Later manuals had this re snowchains on 16":
"Tyres on which chains can be fitted: use snow chains with reduced size with max. protrusion beyond the tyre profile of 9 mm."

So, you can use chains on 16", but low profile ones.
I've got a pair from Konig that correctly fit same wheel size.
Konig Comfort Magic
9mm, low profile, etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts