Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've used ECUMultiscan with an ELM327 cable and it works nicely with the engine ECU. The air bag light came on a while back so I bought the adaptor cables to I could diagnose the issue.

The problem I have is, no matter what I try, I can't communicate with the air bag ECU. I've used the red adaptor with both ELM327 and a KKL vagcom lead. Nothing. Can't connect to the ECU. The KKL won't connect to the engine ECU either with the green adaptor. I've tried configuring the connection port in ECUmultiscan but still nothing.

Any ideas?? It could easily be becasue I've been stupid and I'm happy to look a fool if I can get this light out! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally managed it! Com port 11! Of course! ;) now, it would seem drivers curtain air bag is open circuit and passenger curtain value is too high. Anyone know if curtain airbag is a post or seat? Or either perhaps?

·
Registered
799 Posts
The curtain air bags are in the door rails above the side windows. Their connectors are behind the side trim of the boot. In the SW there are dedicated small access panels which the connectors are supposed to be attached to, but they fall off, so you have to go fishing. I think it's similar in the saloon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah ha! Thanks for that. I'll have a fish about as mine is a sw. I seem to remember that a resistor can be used to fool the ecu into thinking the bag squib is working. Would that work on the curtains too? Only needs to be a temporary fix.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You will probably find that cleaning those connectors will fix it. A resistor could work but not if the bad connections happen to be at the ecu.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well R.T. You were exactly right in every detail. There were cover panels, I did have to go digging for the connectors and separating them and reconnecting them solved the problem! Thank you for the great advise. Much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I had to do that job recently so was able to pass on what I had learned from others here. I think the problem with the connectors is that the gold plating wears through and then the base metal corrodes. Re-mating the connector only works until they corrode again-about a week, or a few months if you use contact cleaner. Most people don't make a habit of removing airbag squibs so soldering the connections seems like a reasonable solution. If you decide to do it, make sure you understand the necessary precautions to avoid deploying an air bag....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts