Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed it was difficult to get into 4th gear few days ago, but last night i cannot at all. The rest of the gears arer fine including the reverse. I hear it could be swarf in the gear box, is this true? surley this would only make it difficult and not at all? does anyome one know of a simliar fault or remedy for this?

·
Registered
77 Posts
further maintenance to restore 4th

I recently couldnt get 4th smoothly so cleaned out gearbox end plate as already recommended and replaced oil with fresh alfa recommended lubricant. some time later after motorway runs problem returned, so again back to the forum and found reference to lubricating the pivot pin assembly that the gear and clutch cable connect to. low and behold the pin was dry and the alloy housing was starting to pick up, once lubed no further problem, even after extended hot runs.:)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
just to correct a minor error,

156's do not have clutch cables but they do have 2 gear linage cables, so i guess thats the 2 cables you seen.

this post is not meant in any way to embarasse austin35alfa147

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently couldnt get 4th smoothly so cleaned out gearbox end plate as already recommended and replaced oil with fresh alfa recommended lubricant. some time later after motorway runs problem returned, so again back to the forum and found reference to lubricating the pivot pin assembly that the gear and clutch cable connect to. low and behold the pin was dry and the alloy housing was starting to pick up, once lubed no further problem, even after extended hot runs.:)
Austin, could you please tell me where you found the info on lubricating the pivot pin assembly that the gear and clutch cable connect to.

regards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanyou 1of1. I give it a go when I find time. Do you know where I could find the plastic bushings, apart from an oficial Alfa Dealer?
Hopefully It'll cure my gear selection problem. The gear stick doesn't actually feel stiff, it's just won't go into gear when it plays-up.
It first happend last summer trying to select 2nd (cured itself) but this time around after a 300km drive I couldn't get into 4th, all the other gears worked fine. I finally managed to get it to engage lifting the clutch slightly and scraping it in, it's been fine since. I don't really use the car much, it only really gets about on the weekends. It's done 79,000km in 11 years.

regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanyou 1of1. I give it a go when I find time. Do you know where I could find the plastic bushings, apart from an oficial Alfa Dealer?
Hopefully It'll cure my gear selection problem. The gear stick doesn't actually feel stiff, it's just won't go into gear when it plays-up.
It first happend last summer trying to select 2nd (cured itself) but this time around after a 300km drive I couldn't get into 4th, all the other gears worked fine. I finally managed to get it to engage lifting the clutch slightly and scraping it in, it's been fine since. I don't really use the car much, it only really gets about on the weekends. It's done 79,000km in 11 years.

regards,
Did this fix your problem? I have something similar.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts