Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About three weeks ago, I took my 156 off the road to try and replace the bottom end bearing shells, it had that usual tap, tap tap, no boom though!

Today, I manged to get everything back together, I had it turning over on the starter, okay. Then plucked up some courage. put the coils in and fired it up.... It started, sounded tappy straight away, the oil light stayed on longer than I thought it should and then it stopped before I got a chance to stop it my self. (that may be down to a weak battery).

Anyway, puzzled I disconnected the coils, spun it over again (using jump leads off my other car for help). It sounds fine on the starter but the oil light doesn't go out, although I am not sure if the starter alone will spin it hard enough to put the light out?

Popped the coils back in started again, sounded better but the oil light is still staying on , so I stopped it.

Two things spring to mind, some how I have blocked the oil pick up, or maybe the oil pressure sensor has simply randomly failed. Is there a way of getting a pressure reading off the car or would I need to find and unscrew the sensor and plug in an old fashioned pressure gauge?

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated and I will post up some bad re build picks in a bit...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It is difficult to say exactly what's wrong.
If you dare remove the plugs and with at fully charged battery turn the engine over. This will give a faster turning over.
The oil pressure switch is located at the front of the engine. I don't know if the ECU gets a signal from the oil pressure switch.
See here FIAT ePER

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eric, I have googled a little bit more and everything points to the pressure switch being on the back of the block. I will be getting the car back up on ramps again, so I will have a look around the back.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
They are the right bearing shells and not undersized?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They seemed like a good fit and they matched the old ones, so I don't think they are an issue.

My biggest concern is that oil pressure light not going out, if something odd has happened like the oil pickup has become blocked that would explain it. At least I should be able to get the down pipe and sump off more easily the second time around. Having said that I managed to re fit the long bolt that goes through the drive shaft mount, wish I hadn't now!

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
You didn't knock the pressure sensor or connection putting the engine back? Have you tried a new switch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine hasn't been out, I did the job with just the exhaust and sump off (I believe the switch is around the back of the block) so it was pretty safe from my faffing! I have a weird feeling that in my struggles to get the oil pick up back on the gasket may have escaped and be half sitting across the oil feed hole, would explain the issue.

I have made the decision that in the next couple of days, I am going to get the car back up in the air and get the sump off again!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
You had a knocking bottom end and just replaced the shells without regrinding the crank or measuring the journals? I can't see that lasting very long I'm afraid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get were you are coming from Rockhopper but I did measure the journals, they all appear to be 50.8mm. Which is supposed to be normal. The only evidence of an issue were slight marks on the old shells... The crank looks okay, there was no sign of swarf. Hence why I decided to simply replace the shells.

To be honest, I like the idea of pulling the crank and getting it re ground but for the money you would spend, you could probably pick up a known good twin spark and simply replace the entire engine

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I suspect you are on the right btrack with your thought about the pickup gasket - it is very fiddly repositioning the pickup pipe when refitting the sump with the engine in the car.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts