Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a look through old posts but nothing quite matches my problem!

I have a 2003 2.4 jtd which when idling is fine and also when driving steady on a flat road or down hill it is fine but when you push on the gas harder through the gears or when the engine is under load up a hill you get a ticking noise which runs in rythem with the engine.

It sounds very much like a metallic tappety noise and have tried various products said to help this but to no success.

As soon as you pull over and lift the bonnet to listen and try and pinpoint the soucre it goes quiet again!.very frustrating indeed!!

The car has done 162000 and has had recent timing kits done etc and also aux tensioner has just been replaced.

Can anyone help??

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Did you get the tensioners changed at the same time as the belts? ... just clutching at straws??

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I think mine has a similar tick which i've heard on some other JTD's too. It occurs on hills. Does yours occur if you just really ligthly blip the throttle when stationary or when in 1st or reverse gear if you are just loading the engine with the clutch and blipping? I've check this noise with the aux belt and the cam covers off. It was still there. The noise appeared a few thousand miles after I changed the belt and tensioner. Like Chris said it could be the tensioner as it seemed to have a tiny amount of play in it on mine. (When I say tiny I mean really really tiny so don't panic) Its def not the solid idler as thats why I had the side off in the first place. I am going to keep an eye on it though as the tensioner has only done around 15,000 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts