Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, firstly, a big HELLO! and note that this is my first Alfa 156, having shifted from years of VWs. I've got a 2001 'X' veloce 156, with FSH and 75k miles - as a whole, really clean..

However, when stuck in traffic, the temperature gauge shifts past the '0' on the '90' to some halfway point to the next marker (around 100C, I guess). The 2 fans kick-in and bring the temperature down to just past the '0'.

The temperature is held and the car never overheats and if traffic breaks-up and the car moves on, the temperature gauge falls back to around the '90' mark.

I have only ever noticed the fans working in high-speed, for a few seconds, switching themselves on and off as necessary.

Where should I begin (The Rad looks clean)?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
each fan should have its own 'low-speed' resistor.

it is possible that BOTH low speed resitors are defective.

low speed licks in at 98, high speed at 103

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
each fan should have its own 'low-speed' resistor.

it is possible that BOTH low speed resitors are defective.

low speed licks in at 98, high speed at 103

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Not to change the line of this thread and most of what has been mentioned is important, but whilst monitoring may temp gauge the other day i had Alfadiag conected and at the 90deg mark AD reported 90deg, but at the next mark 1/2 way between 90 and 120 AD 97deg, you gauge is a guide, but best to be safe than sorry, i also know i need a new Rad and i have a slight leak where the W****r who fitted my gas conversion broke into the cooling system i hope to Resolve this week...

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
That sounds fine to me, behaves similarly to my V6. Keep an eye on coolant and oil and you should be fine :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts