Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Have noticed lately that my 156 has a slight flat spot, normally noticeable around 1800rpm when cruising at a constant speed. It's not drastic, but does it when both hot and cold. It just feels ever so slightly juddery - any ideas? All 6 plugs have been changed recently.

Also I have noticed that the coolant temperature is fluctutating a bit. It has been doing this for a while, but I noticed the other day when sitting in traffic on the motorway, the temperature gauge went over the 90 degree mark, pretty normal for sitting in traffic and then the fat cuts in - all OK! However, when back up to speed, the temperature wont come down, in other words at 70 - 80mph it still sits at around 105 degrees. I have also noticed that it takes forever to warm up, so guessing it could be thermostat related? Any ideas?

Many Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Probably a combination of both failed thermostat and failing radiator.

The failed thermostat will be responsible for the slow warmup and the failing rad for the high temperature.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, to be honest, the radiator has seen better days. I have never noticed the "slow speed" fan though.

Surely if the thermostat is stuck open it will take a while to warm up, whilst if it is stuck closed it will get hot - but a combination of both ?!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The stat will be stuck open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts