Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My 156 V6 has a K&N bolted onto it. I'm not proud and I'm not happy, and I want to get a proper Airbox / Filter. :lol:

The K&N is bolted right at the very bottom of the piping, so at least that was all kept original.

What are my options here?

I actually have the airbox off of a 2000 2 Litre TS 156, will this fit and work with my 1998 2.5 V6 156? Or will I need a completely different box and filter?

Also, the MAF is absolutely fine so I don't want to risk damaging it by removing the current filter and sticking a new original one on.

What do you think?

Help appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Why don't you want the K&N Dazza?
I have all std induction and quite fancy a K&N setup.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you want the K&N Dazza?
I have all std induction and quite fancy a K&N setup.....
I'm just a massive fan of stock items on cars nowadays Jay and would rather have the standard box on.

Would you fancy a swap at all?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Oh that never occured to me.....
Is your K&N the 57i one....
And I would take photos of mine 1st, if your interested

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh that never occured to me.....
Is your K&N the 57i one....
And I would take photos of mine 1st, if your interested
As far as I'm aware mate it is the 57i one, although I'll check for definite tomorrow for you and also take some snaps.

It sounds good to be fair and hasn't done anything to the MAF whatsoever, but I'm just after a big air box with standard filter. I prefer them for some mad reason, :lol:

Do you reckon you'd be up for a swap then mate, and if so how would you want to do it?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Righto Dazza yeah I'd be up for a swap, or buy yours off you, better give you cash than some fleabay scammer.
My reason for saying that is one of the bolts on my airbox had siezed, and I repaired it,I can photo it for you but as your project is all A1 you might not want that...
Either way put my name on it for now pal. I'm on and offline as and when at the moment though, so it may take a while for me to answer - Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jay, as far as I'm concerned mate we could just do a straight swap, as long as I can still gain access into the air box and close it back up again it's all fine by me.

Tomorrow I'll check for definite to see if it is definitely a K&N 57i and take some snaps for you. If you could take a few snaps just so I can have a gander that would also be great.

If we are both happy and that, the best bet would be for me to remove my 57i and send it to you in the post. Then once you recieve it you can swap it over for your current air box and then send that to me in the post.

This is probably for the best as mine's a project car and not in use anyway, whereas your car is in constant use so it's better that you can do the straight swap over.

Speak soon mate!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Dazza my air box looks fine, and the mod I did was I think where the box mounts to the bracket,its not a bodge, I don't think it needed the second bolt...I just couldn't put it back on without sorting it.
Your plan sounds good to me....Only question is do you trust me????
:lol:
I will get a few pics sent, and when we are happy we can pm addresses..Mind you its a nice road to Bristol.....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
@darren: have you considered the GTA intake mod combined with the standard airbox?
There's a thread around here on it somewhere and apparantly it works well on the 156 v6's..

EDIT: or was it the k&n combined with the standard airbox.... i forget... one or the other anyway :lol:

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Do I need to take her off for more pics Dazza?
General Engine Bay.jpg over view.jpg under view.jpg side over view.jpg

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
I dunno why anyone would want the standard airbox in there. K&N sounds amazing, and throttle response becomes so crisp. As long as it is properly sited you're not going to have any power losses due to heat sink either.

BMC CDA might be better though.. I have my CDA in reserve now as I am using a K&N cone filter for the time being, absolutely loving the induction noise. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I dunno why anyone would want the standard airbox in there. K&N sounds amazing, and throttle response becomes so crisp. As long as it is properly sited you're not going to have any power losses due to heat sink either.

BMC CDA might be better though.. I have my CDA in reserve now as I am using a K&N cone filter for the time being, absolutely loving the induction noise. :thumbs:
Don't say that Dan, he won't wanna swap...
I must admit I agree, but Daz's project has different goals to my/our cars. I think he's looking at making it refined, and tip top, not a beast to thrash around in....
I think:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jason, bad news fella, it's not a K&N, it's a.....*gulp*..... MAX POWER UNIVERSAL JOBBY!!!!! :cry:

Ugh, why anyone would want to stick one of those awful things on their car is beyond me, :rolleyes:

But sorry mate.

If you ever do get a K&N let me know bud as I'd still like to buy your std airbox off you, :)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Ah not to worry, sh it happens, I will keep an eye open for you though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone know if the GTA air intake fits a 2.5 V6 156? I think it does as my Twinny had one fitted to it. Also, where can I get one and how much will I expect to pay?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
It does, and if you give me a second I'll find a link

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
But if you don't have an airbox attached to the end of the GTA intake pipe, how do you expect it to make any difference?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Argh! You are right Pud, what I'm after is the entire airbox. I've got one for a 2000 2.0 TS 156, will that fit on or is the V6 one different, if so why, shape, size etc?

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
I'm sure you could fit the 2.0 filterbox and filter.. Depends if the pipe out of the 2.0 filterbox matches up with the pipe that goes into your MAF meter..

Now, I don't know if it'd be a good idea or not to do this.. What's wrong with the filter you have now (be honest)?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts