Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 2001 y 156 jtd wagon: Alfa Romeo : Alfa Romeo 156 JTD (2.4 Diesel) Lusso Sportwagen..

Had it a few days, so have had time to spot issues! Can you guys help?

- Should it have the red/brown master key? I didn't think it should, but the owner's manual says it should...

- air intake pipe had split / been bodged just before the manifold. taped up and it's better but still flexes / whsitles. Part number? Is it the same as any other models?

- it seems to be running cool: about 65/70 degrees. Thermostat?

- It needs a new top ball joint on the near side. Is this a ***** of a job?

Apart from that, all seems good :) Really good to be back in an alfa!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Not so sure on the first two, but thermostat, yes new one needed. Believe it to be a b**ch of a job. 3 hrs quoted by Autolusso.
If what you mean by top ball joint, upper wishbone, then it's not that bad a job assuming your nuts don't burr........ 1st time maybe 2-3hrs.
Good link here: -
How To... Change Upper Front Wishbone on an Alfa 147/156/GT

Good luck

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've never had a red/brown key on a 156, ideally two black ones or get one cloned in case you lose one. (don't know for sure though)

Intake pipe, go to alfa dealer and order a new one, they should find it on eper quick enough by describing which one it is.

Thermostat should be above 80 degrees and no more than 90 in normal conditions.

The top arms aren't that bad, but you may wish to check the state of the bottom arms to, and new droplinks are a good idea.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Bottom arms don't need doing - they and one of the tops were done not that long ago (not all at the same time!).

Followed the 156 home today and the intake pipe being taped up properly for now seems to have pretty much cured the black smoke problem :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
it wont last unfortunately new one from alfa is £36 if i remember rightly and you need a stat but depending on the age it might not be as bad as you think i believe the 136 bhp one is not as bad to do as the 140/150

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice Wagon :)

Both my 2.4JTD engines have needed themostats changing. Yes it as bit of pig, having to remove EGR gubbins and get to a bolt from underneath with contorted hand.

Wishbones are par for the course I'm afraid - not unlike Vectra etc. A knock as if from behind the dash is the engine mount, so check that first before you spend out.

The Mangoletsi dealership isn't too far from you so a call to them with chassis number will confirm the key fobs. IIRC, during 2001 the Red side-blipper keys were replaced with the black flick-knife type fobs. There is always the chance it's the wrong manual with the car.

Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts