Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Im planning to take my 156 2.4JTD 10v sportswagon over to the French Alps in January for a spot of boarding & skiing with the family.

People say the 2.4 engines pretty heavy so Im guesing I should have pretty good traction in the snow.

I have the 16" wheels on my car has anyone used snow chains or socks on their Alfa?

Any tips for driving an Alfa in the snow?:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Make sure you have your ASR on, (if applicable) and try and pull away in 2nd gear, apart from the obvious, no real advice

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most European country's its compulsory to carry snow chains if you are venturing into a mountainous area, I'd check, but i'm fairly positive you have to in France.
It may be worth buying them now as they seem to get more expensive if the weather turns in the uk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Forgot to mention, I've been stuck in snow on numerous occasions in France with cars with winter tyres so i'd definitely take snow chains.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
My 20v was fantastic last winter on 17" Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres on snow and ice. I had traction when others only struggled, couldn't fault the car. The low ride height could be a problem on deep snow, but up to 6" it wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I bought some snow chains after the snow we had last november ... and since then it hasn't snowed!!!! I'm just hoping for snow this winter so that I can actually use them!!!!

Although I did some another alternative in CostCo, they were kind of snow chains but made out of rope of some variety, looked much easier to put on and less likely to damage your wheels/tyres

·
Registered
873 Posts
Check the handbook - I think it says "NOT SUITABLE FOR SNOW CHAINS" next to some tyres sizes near the back.

I presume this is something to do with clearance under the wheelarch but have never looked into it as we run our Jeep Cherokee with snow tyres in the winter and nothing, but nothing, stops that!!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Check the handbook - I think it says "NOT SUITABLE FOR SNOW CHAINS" next to some tyres sizes near the back.

I presume this is something to do with clearance under the wheelarch but have never looked into it as we run our Jeep Cherokee with snow tyres in the winter and nothing, but nothing, stops that!!
I think it means normal snow chains which would catch on the front strut metalwork (it's only 10mm or so away from the tyre). You can however get micro chains which are supposed to be OK because they don't stick out so much. Course they cost a not insignificant amount more than standard chains. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
A friend of mine regularly goes skiiing and used chains on various cars until he discovered the snow socks and when it snowed here never stopped going on about them. Obviously if you drive on normal surface it will chew them up and spit them out like a rag....so only in snow or ice really. But pretty easy to fit and remove. The positive advantages it will not trash your suspension/wheel arch(es) or wheels if you get a little over exuberant on the horses.
In view of previous comments not to use chains it may be the only safe alternative available to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts