Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a 2003 156 2.4JTD 150 with 205K miles on the clock. I got caught in flood water. I was able to remove the injectors and clear the water.
I changed air, fuel and oil filters and put fresh oil in. I was also advised to put a bottle of Cataclean in the tank. The car is running and has covered about 100 miles.
The problem that the car is still running unevenly. Some white smoke when starting but this clears. It shudders under acceleration at low speeds but will cruise happily on the motorway. No fault codes reported on TORQUE app.
Any advice before I leave it with someone who knows what he's doing? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If the engine sucked up water when it was running and is now running unevenly then chances are it has bent a con rod slightly and is now down on compression on that cylinder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll have it checked.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll have it checked.

My wife drove my old 2.4 10v 156 through a flood in 2008, I removed the injectors to expel the water and replaced the alternator. Are the injectors sealing properly ? (chuffing) new copper washers may be required. It may be worth investing in Fiat ECU scan less the £20 on ebay, and you can look at the live data.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll hook the laptop and ECUscan up when I get a chance. I replaced one washer that I lost when removing the injectors. Might be worthwhile changing the other 4.
Thanks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'll hook the laptop and ECUscan up when I get a chance. I replaced one washer that I lost when removing the injectors. Might be worthwhile changing the other 4.
Thanks.

If you cant hear any chuffing with the engine cover removed your injectors should be sealed. Fiat ecu scan is likely to be your best option

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. Hopefully she will live to fight another day. ?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Thanks.

By any chance, might that stray washer still be stuck in the head, meaning you have 2 washers for that injector and injector is raised too high in the combustion chamber etc.etc. ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made sure to check that at the time in case I had forgotten about it.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Pity, would have been easy to amend. It doesn't sound good unfortunately. I have an engine in bits if you need anything, give me a shout.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update. A new airflow meter and second hand injector from eBay has improved things a lot. Idling a lot smoother.
Dash lights pulsing when ticking over but it had been doing that before the flood incident. Possible loose auxiliary belt (it squeals sometimes)?
More or less back to normal. Thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate it ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts