Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
my 230000 kms '04 156 JTDm has been "jolting" (sorry if that is not the proper term) under specific conditions since I bought it.
The phenomenon is the following, I'll try to be as precise as possible, because it seems that it can be caused by 2 distinct (almost equally expensive :D) failures:
  • The jolting is rather imperceptible at slow speeds, or at higher speeds >> 130 kph.
  • The jolting is really heavy at 80 to 100 kph, whatever shift and rpm, it is speed related. The whole frame moves, you can compare the effect as turbulences in airplanes during takeoff, everything moves inside.
  • As soon as I release the gas pedal, the jolting ceases immediatly.
  • No clutch pedal vibration.
I initially thought about the universal joints, which seem to not support the torque of the 2.4 jtd 175, and wear quickly. But someone pointed out it could be a warped flywheel.
Do you think the symptoms above are typical to one on the other case ?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Not flywheel if it’s road speed rather than engine speed related.
Worn universal (constant velocity) joints would show as a knocking when manoevring on full lock. This sound more like a road wheel has gone out of balance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot.
The universal joints clearly have some play (2 mechanics saw the play while rotating the half-shafts coming out of the engine).
I change one rim, because it was clearly warped, and there is one with a little warping, that went on the rear side. The two rear wheels have new tires and went rebalanced a few months ago.
I don't really hear the knocking on full lock, but some of the joints were already changed during the life of the car..

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
It is your CV joints. Common problem, your symptoms exactly match what happens. Plus the fact that 2 mechanics have confirmed play in them. A flywheel issue creates a completely different vibration, together with obstruction while changing gear. Its not wheels, tyres, weather or anything else. Change the CV's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is your CV joints. Common problem, your symptoms exactly match what happens. Plus the fact that 2 mechanics have confirmed play in them. A flywheel issue creates a completely different vibration, together with obstruction while changing gear. Its not wheels, tyres, weather or anything else. Change the CV's.

I concur, just solved the same problem on the GT by replacing the driveshaft

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Check the 6 bolts holding them onto the engine. Diesels have a habit of loosening everything they can. I had exactly the same problem, cursed my (very cheap) supplier of CVs and ordered new ones. When I took the old ones off, they were perfect, but the mounting bolts were not perfectly tight. They weren’t visibly loose, they were just far too easy to undo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts