Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ive never owned an alfa but i have always wanted to.im looking at a 156 estate 2.4jtd lusso and want some information from people who have owned the car, stuff like reliabilty being the main one,and is the car comfy good handling and all the other stuff you want to know when buying a car. All help would be much apreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi ive never owned an alfa but i have always wanted to.im looking at a 156 estate 2.4jtd lusso and want some information from people who have owned the car, stuff like reliabilty being the main one,and is the car comfy good handling and all the other stuff you want to know when buying a car. All help would be much apreciated
thery also seems to be different bhp for every one i look at what is the bhp(its a 52 plate)?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Hi, I have the model you are looking for and there are a few things about this engine that you should know. First off yeas there are 4 variants of this engine - 136bhp, 140bhp, 150bhp and 175bhp. If the one you are looking at is 2002 and has the facelift interior with the info centre on the dash then it will be the 150 version. Ive got the 140bhp version but the only difference in the two is the extra 10 horses and interior.
The engine seems to be bulletproof with no premature failures such as the water pump being recorded. But its best you get it changed unless its in the service history. The suspension is a weak point however, the engine is too heavy for the rubbish standard suspension Alfa put in but a lot of people just change the parts with stronger ones. Ive had my whole suspension overhauled. EGR failure can an issue aswell, pain in the ass when it does as the arent that cheap to buy so most people blank it off.
I've got the Lusso and i think its extremely comfortable, the Momo leather seats make it a nice motorway cruiser and Ive been as far south in Europe as Albania and as far north to Estonia with this car and never gave me a hint of bother and never get back-aches with it either. The 5-pot engine is quite rough (in a nice way) when its idling or being floored. Turbo hoses can fail aswell but there is a lad thats found a solution and sells silicon versions so it wont happen again. Hope this helps :thumbs:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a 2001 saloon model when it was a year old, great car but the front end dives down when braking, believe it or not a small rock on the road in a dip managed to crack my sump.

Nothing went wrong on mine even at 50k when I sold it, one of the best Alfas I've owned.

Much better engine than my current Alfa.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a 2001 saloon model when it was a year old, great car but the front end dives down when braking, believe it or not a small rock on the road in a dip managed to crack my sump.

Nothing went wrong on mine even at 50k when I sold it, one of the best Alfas I've owned.

Much better engine than my current Alfa.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
I am just about to put mine up for sale, a couple of little jobs still to do to get it just right. I can talk you through everything about them over the phone if you are interested. It is 2003 2.4 10v 150bhp in brilliant blue (nice bright met blue, like on the gtas) with black sports leather and 17 inch sport wheels. I have replaced absolutely everything in the last 12 months and I mean everything. It's got Gta suspension, Gta headlights, Gta dash trim (darker silver), new turbo this week, clutch and dual mass flywheel, slave cylinder, cambelt and waterpump, pads and discs all round, complete front end suspension rebuild with power flexed anti roll bar, rear arms, rear wheel bearings, handbrake cables, glow plugs, crank sensor and probably a whole load more I have missed off. Obviously supplied with a warranty, mileage is 108k and I was going to put it up for £2995. All the work I have carried out on it would probably cost about £3500 - £4000 alone!!

Pm me or give us a call tomorrow if you are interested or even if you just want any advice.

Cheers.

Loz

·
Registered
253 Posts
I drive a 156 2.4 20v 175 bhp (2004) I have been driving for 35 years and this is by far the most enjoyable car I have had so much so, I have owend it for 5 years now and I have never kept any car that long before. The only down side is, because the engine fills the space so tightly everything is dificult to access, I just had a new alternator fitted and labour alone cost upward of £200. Dont let that put you off though. (AtolussoSouth sounds like a good buy!)

E

·
0 Posts
My other half has the 20v 175bhp. It has been a great car and never let him down, however it does seem to have a few weak points, which have been, drive shaft wear, dual mass flywheel and as stated suspension (though that is all 156). It is an astonishing car though, with all that grunt and about 50mpg.

If you are after one it would be well worth going for Loz's as you will have a totally sorted car with nothing to worry about for some time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts