Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, desperately need a sump for my car, wouldn't start when i finished work tonight, got recovered home (cost a fortune) booked car into local garage tomorrow to have crank sensor done and noticed a huge patch of oil under car. Seems like it must have bottomed out on recovery gib and it has smashed a hole in the front of my sump. Firstly what sort of money is a sump and does anyone know where i can get one? Cheers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hole is on the front corner and is about 2 inches by 2 inches is this weldable?
Don't doubt you, i just clearly don't know. ;)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ok dont do a fingertip search it would be breif to say the least
firstly order a sump gasket asap you will need one whatever happens
and get in touch with local welders and take the sump to them im sure someone alse on here had theres repaired with no problems
good luck mate im sure it will be fine
can you make a claim against the recovery company seems like neglegence to me

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wife is on the case of chasing compensation but it's going to be long and drawn out, we could do with the cash now but ho-hum. Thanks for your advice, is the sump an easy removal or a bit of a mare?

Chasing insurance company too as i was sold breakdown cover on the assumption of FULL distance recovery, not 10miles. Plus was sold Greenflag, wasn't told they outsourced to back street garages.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i have never removed the sump on mine but i dont think it would be a problem (famous last words)
good luck with the claim

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
When I had my 156 dropped off the back of a recovery truck I claimed against them using my car insurance (obviously I had legal protection), as this is quite clearly an "accident" why don't you contact your insurance company and get them to do the work ... they're much more likely to get the cash out of green flag ..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chris, i have legal protection too so when the insurance open their phonelines in the morning i will lodge a claim. I wonder if esure are aware that greenflag outsource, maybe i'm naive but i wasn't.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its not just Green Flag that outsource, I once had an oil pressure problem on another car and a local mechanic came out to look at the car when I was expecting the AA.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The recovery vehicle that dropped my 156 was outsourced from the AA (I think he was a bit pee'd off at having to get up at 2am :lol:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After much discussion the recovery company have taken the car away and agreed to sort the sump, i have asked them to quote me to have the crank sensor done at same time as i think this was the initial fault. Cheers for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
After much discussion the recovery company have taken the car away and agreed to sort the sump, i have asked them to quote me to have the crank sensor done at same time as i think this was the initial fault. Cheers for all the advice.
Make sure you get quotes from elsewhere too, as they may try and build some of the cost of the new sump into the quote ;)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
When I had my 156 dropped off the back of a recovery truck I claimed against them using my car insurance (obviously I had legal protection), as this is quite clearly an "accident" why don't you contact your insurance company and get them to do the work ... they're much more likely to get the cash out of green flag ..
That's what I was thinking, the recovery company damged your car....so why are you paying? Get onto them to sort it out, after all if the car was damaged by thier equipment then they were using the wrong kit (ie, wheel lift instead of the correct flatbed that Alfas require).

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
That's what I was thinking, the recovery company damged your car....so why are you paying? Get onto them to sort it out, after all if the car was damaged by thier equipment then they were using the wrong kit (ie, wheel lift instead of the correct flatbed that Alfas require).
^^^ that's what he's done :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts