Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No advice needed, but I thought I'd stick a new post on to benefit others as I struggled to find an easy answer on here.

Over the past week (having had a new clutch and DMF recently) my clutch pedal had some funny sypmtoms.

The bite-point moved high, then low. The pedal got spongy, then light, then really spongy. It also changed bite-point during a long drive - it would start low, then move high again - perhaps linked to warmth. It wasn't loosing fluid and wasn't dripping.

It's fair to say I was getting irate.

Anyway. The slave cylinder was faulty. It wasn't so much leaking (a tiny bit), but the seals were knackered and it was sucking in small amounts of air upon release. I can only describe it as being like gore-tex. Air could penetrate, but not fluid.

I had it replaced at a garage, but could easily have done it myself.
Battery tray out. Circlip. 2 bolts. Top-up/Bleed. Done.
£30 parts. £20 labour.

I hope this helps people - there are a lot of confused posts out there.

·
Registered
683 Posts
...I hope this helps people - there are a lot of confused posts out there.
I must confess I was one of these confused people, particularly when I have always read about the 156 slave cylinder being located within the bellhousing hence it's a gearbox-out job - maybe only on the petrols then?

At last, an easy job on the 2.4 engine :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must confess I was one of these confused people, particularly when I have always read about the 156 slave cylinder being located within the bellhousing hence it's a gearbox-out job - maybe only on the petrols then?

At last, an easy job on the 2.4 engine :D
Confirm that. Very easy on the 2.4JTD, big job on the petrols because as you rightly said, the box has to come out.
My mechanic said you'd be a fool not to change the concentric slave cylinder on a petrol while you were having a clutch change.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even so, my mechanic is sure that the gearbox needs to come out for a petrol engined, concentric slave cylinder to be changed because a related bearing IS inside the box. Either way, it was easy on the JTD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can confirm that my mechanic has also said the gearbox needs to come out due to the concentric bearing. Not so easy on the JTS!

·
Registered
79 Posts
its outside on the v6, I'm trying (unsuccessfully lol) to bleed it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
MIne started to feel funny yesterday. I looked at the brake reservoir, empty!

I hope it's only the slave. Annoying, as i was in there a month ago to lubricate the shaft that the slave operates as the clutch was heavy and notchy.

My guess is that i disturbed the slave cylinder and tipped it over the edge, so to speak.

Not really looking forward to battery tray out all over again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts