Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on my 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon.

It's a 2002 Voloce model, pre-facelift which has only done 49k miles so in pretty good condition.

Anyway, the guy I bought it from also had a GT Blackilne and fitted the 18" GT wheels to the 156 - they look very nice but the ride is very hard!!

I'm after some advice on how to improve the ride quality whilst keeping the wheels - I have the original 16" Teledial wheels and was thinking of refitting them and selling the 18's but they don't look half as good.

Has anyone fitted 18" wheels to their 156? If so, what suspension upgrades did you do? Someone has mentioned KW V1 coilovers as a good choice - has anyone had any experience with these on their 156?

I'm pretty sure my car has the factory sport pack suspension although I've read on other Alfa forums that the Sportwagons never had the sport pack suspension fitted?!?!?

Any advice appreciated, even if it's just to say stick the 16's back on and forget about it!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Personally I can't imagine any aftermarket suspension being softer than the original. Especially the 2.4 which is a heavy engine and the front usually gets even softer quite quickly especially at the front.

Have you driven it with the 16" wheels and tyres. I would try that before deciding what to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I can't imagine aftermarket softening the ride but the KW's were recommended to improve comfort compared to standard sports suspension.... only problem is they are £700 parts only!

Going try the 16's first although the tyres are virtually on illegal limits so will have to payout if I'm going to keep them.

Would be great to find another Alfa 156 owner who has used KW suspension just to see if the claims are true.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
18" alloys will catch the rear arches at best and if lowered won't fit at all.

I've run 18" jet fins (off a GT) and coilovers on a 156 saloon in the past, but clearance was marginal and I had to get the rear arches rolled.

I also recently tried 18" cloverleaf (again, off a GT) alloys on my 156SW. It's on konis and runs a similar ride height to a Ti. They did not fit. The rubbed against the rear arches whilst simply driving in a straight line down the cul-de-sac I live on. Looked good though:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/moto...156-sw-on-18andquot-gt-cloverleaf-alloys.html

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Sell the 18" wheels, buy some 17" wheels, keep the 16" wheels for winter. 18"s are just too much for the 156 platform unless they are very lightweight wheels.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Sell the 18" wheels, buy some 17" wheels, keep the 16" wheels for winter. 18"s are just too much for the 156 platform unless they are very lightweight wheels.
Good advice there.
There has also been no mention of which size tyres he has on the 18", which after the reply from Chris means they could also be undersize, making a harsh wheel & tyre combo even worse!

Trying the car with the 16" is free and a good place to start from. I never felt the need to move my 156 off of its original 16" rims.
Some platform just don't suit big wheels, they look good, but are not good to actually drive on!
My TT has 18" (225/40R18) and feels fine on those, but it is a setup designed for 17"/18" from the factory. The 156 was 15"/16" (with 17" becoming an option much later on).

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
225/40/18 is much better to ride than 215/45/17.
This is probably because 215/45/17 are not so "meaty" tyre size in all.
225/45/17 is better alternative and has much more choice.
I would still stay with 225/40/18 and play with tire pressure used first.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I would still stay with 225/40/18 and play with tire pressure used first.
Hopefully you are not suggesting running tyres with lower than recommended pressures....?

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Hopefully you are not suggesting running tyres with lower than recommended pressures....?
No I am not.
We still do not know what tyre size having been used and what exact pressure inside.
It is nice idea to measure tyre pressure sometimes in principal. :biglaugh:
It also could be non- wheel problem related.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Does that go for the GT too, same chassis right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your comments and advice.

I've got Pirelli PZero Rosso tyres fitted to the 18's at the moment - tyre size 225/40/18.

I have them at 38 PSI front and 36 PSI rear, there is no evidence of any rubbing on the arches even with my wife, two small kids and luggage in the back!

I'm going to try the original 16's this week to see how much of an improvement they are and maybe sell the 18's.

I've seen some brand new 17" GTA wheels for sale but feel most people have gone for this option and want to be a little bit more original.

Any suggestions on a set of 17's that look good but not GTA's?

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts