Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, can anyone advise me on some faults on the 2.4 as I just got one...want to have it looked over by alfa dealer, just want a heads up on problems????

appreciate it =]

A

·
0 Posts
2.4 20v (129 kW) or 2.4 10V (110 kW)?

Issues for the 20V I've gathered from the forum and / or own (limited) experience:
- water pump - make sure it has been changed according to the mileage AND age (see thread at the top of the list), get it changed urgently if it hasn't
- driveshafts are weak (vibrations at high speeds) - not strong enough for the torque
- airbag connector in the boot goes loose, causing the airbag light to stay on
- front wishbones (knocking when going over bumps) - the engine is too heavy for them
- thermostat (engine running cold) - check real temperature via diagnosis, gauge often lies
- radiators go bad after a few years (engine running hot) - they rust away and must be replaced
- turbo hoses (exagerated turbo whistle, black smoke when accelerating, excessive fuel consumption) - there are two of them, the bottom one is likely to crack, as it rubs against a screw

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ran a 2.4 20v facelift JTD for 3 years and put over 110k on the clock.

Trouble free motoring (assisted by regular dealer and latterly Alfa Independent servicing) until the end of that time.

Major grief then kicked in with the drive shaft and wishbone problems mentioned. Decided to cut my losses and get shut.

Bad move. Now in a GT 1.9 JTD. Frankly its a disppointment in every department after that fantastic 156.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
isnt it only the 20v that has weak driveshafts (peugeot units), my mums 10v was solid, no issues what so ever.

20v has a rubbish gm box too (also breaks)

normal checks

as above:thumbs:

personally id have the 10v, sounds better too:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 10v, which i am loving so far!
cheers for the feedback, i have the wishbone knocking problem...
also sometimes when i put my foot down it seems like the clutch is slipping or something...????

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
If the clutch is slipping then don't leave it too long before you get it done. You don't want to muck up the DMF, that will be expensive. Good choice on the car, 10v 2.4 is awesome, I really love mine :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Suspension on the 20v. The car sits too low and so you ground the sump and if you are really unlucky the bottom of the radiator. Anti-roll bar droplinks need changing fairly frequently, though this is not a big job. Squeaky wishbones are another problem. You will find numerous posts on here moaning about the suspension on the 2.4 diesels; the engine is just too damn big and heavy. Having said that, it is awesome.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
its fine on the veloces suspension. the standard turismo/lusso is to soft and compresses far to easily. the harder suspension on the veloce/ti doesnt, and shouldnt ground.

my mums never touched the floor, even over speed bumps. if its doing that to often id suspect there is something wrong, like dead shocks:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree the 10v is great - had mine 8 years and has now done 195k. Clutch mysteriously slips on occasions, but has done so for the last 50k! Agree all the rest with the addition of the stiff gear change thing, which can be cured by lubricating the assembly on top of gearbox and the MAF thing - got through 3. Gear box otherwise brilliant. But no water pump, EGR, DPF issues as for 20v. And uses practically no oil.

A

·
0 Posts
122,000 miles on our 2002 2.4 10Valve 150 SW. It going in for its second cam belt change tomorrow, and is having a water pump just as a precaution. The original is still fine. The clutch take up is high, but I think they are all a bit like that, and anyway its bound to be worn at 122k really

Repairs: 1x DM front crank pulley, two upper wishbones, thermostat, battery, handbrake cable...and apart from that, just normal servicing and a previous cam belt change 60,000 miles ago, one set of brake pads, three sets of tyres, three sets of windscreen wiper blades.

What more can I say, except that Alfa did what it does best...'upgrade' the car with the 20valve engine and turn it from reliable to unreliable....just typical.

Ours uses a very small amount of oil between services. Not enough to even raise a yawn.

The 2.4JTD 10 valve has quietly earned itself a reputation as being one of the better Alfa packages to own in overall terms. Its a great car. Just make sure its maintained properly and you will love it.:thumbs:

AlfaLincs (forgot..we had two roll bar drop links as well..scandalous eh!)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
122,000 miles on our 2002 2.4 10Valve 150 SW. It going in for its second cam belt change tomorrow, and is having a water pump just as a precaution. The original is still fine. The clutch take up is high, but I think they are all a bit like that, and anyway its bound to be worn at 122k really

Repairs: 1x DM front crank pulley, two upper wishbones, thermostat, battery, handbrake cable...and apart from that, just normal servicing and a previous cam belt change 60,000 miles ago, one set of brake pads, three sets of tyres, three sets of windscreen wiper blades.

What more can I say, except that Alfa did what it does best...'upgrade' the car with the 20valve engine and turn it from reliable to unreliable....just typical.

Ours uses a very small amount of oil between services. Not enough to even raise a yawn.

The 2.4JTD 10 valve has quietly earned itself a reputation as being one of the better Alfa packages to own in overall terms. Its a great car. Just make sure its maintained properly and you will love it.:thumbs:

AlfaLincs
id have a 10v over the 20v anyday. my mums was great, sounds better too, and the gearbox and drive shatfs arnt made of cheese:lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Wish I had read this topic before letting a beautiful Lancia Thesis 2.4 10v pass, a couple of months before getting my 2.4 20v 156...

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
thesis is a lovely car, shame on you:tut::lol:

prefer the kappa though:D

A

·
0 Posts
I know, it was a Thesis I was looking for in the beginning (having had a Kappa before), but I passed on it because of the 10v (damn 25 bhp extra in the 20v which I rarely use anyway) and of the rarity factor, making it far more difficult to maintain properly here... The insurance cost was not negligible either, about double compared to the 156. Well, I guess if I'm stuck with my 20v then I'd better enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I know, it was a Thesis I was looking for in the beginning (having had a Kappa before), but I passed on it because of the 10v (damn 25 bhp extra in the 20v which I rarely use anyway) and of the rarity factor, making it far more difficult to maintain properly here... The insurance cost was not negligible either, about double compared to the 156. Well, I guess if I'm stuck with my 20v then I'd better enjoy it. :)
enjoy away, there not that bad, i just prefer the 10v, and its gruffer engine note:thumbs:

·
Registered
74 Posts
The fuel pumps can fail, the sumps break easily if grounded and the turbos can disentegrate within 85,000 (known to be genuine) miles. From general feedback on these engines it would seem I've been unlucky. They are great when working properly but when the major components fail the replacement costs can be uneconomic. Mine may now be scrapped- not good for a 7.5 year old car.

A

·
0 Posts
The fuel pumps can fail, the sumps break easily if grounded and the turbos can disentegrate within 85,000 (known to be genuine) miles. From general feedback on these engines it would seem I've been unlucky. They are great when working properly but when the major components fail the replacement costs can be uneconomic. Mine may now be scrapped- not good for a 7.5 year old car.
Diesel pump and turbo failure are not unique to Alfa. They are a regrettable feature of all modern day high tech, high fuel pressure diesel engines. I certainly dread either one going as its serious hole in the pocket territory whether you keep it or scrap it.

Anyone who uses any turbo at all hard should remember to idle the car for a minute or two at the end of a journey. This gives the turbo time to cool down. If you stop it when its still red hot you carbonise the oil in the turbo bearings and this shortens their life. Delayed or missed oil changes will not help either. Either way they are regarded within the trade as 'limited life units' so beware. I've got two turbo diesels and I prefer not to think about it too much.

The sump being low is a problem, and not a few have been cracked. So far we appear to ground the back end of the SW more than the front when there are rear passengers.I've not had a problem at the front...so far, but you need to be vigilant.

I'm sorry to hear yours has turned out to be a disappointment. Its always happens to somebody unfortunately.

AlfaLincs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts