Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a std 2.4 JTD (2000) with 70,000 on the clock, about 2 weeks after purchasing the car the red injector light occasionally illuminated on the dash – this has become more apparent recently especially when I hit around 3k on the rev clock when the turbo kicks in or around 95mph in top gear on a closed road, after researching on here it seams the car may have a developed a fault with the AFM or turbo. The AFM was replaced when I purchased the car as I have the original receipt which is why I think there is an issue with the turbo.

The car still pulls extremely well (sometimes the injector light comes on and car goes into “safe mode” but a quick blip of throttle and all is OK) othertimes the light doesnt illuminate and I sail past 3k no probs, however I was driving it last week without the stereo on and there is a constant whining/whistling at low revs which sounds like a police siren, is this the turbo thats shafted, also the turbo whistle is extremely loud when it kicks in at 3k...or is this normal ?

Questions: -
Is it worth replacing the AFM again as there may be an issue with this?
Do I purchase a new turbo (I believe recon ones are a no-go on Alfa 156’s) plus where do I get on from and how much will I be out of pocket?
Was looking at an Angel re-map in March (would they be able to advise what the issue is?)…or shall I wait for it all to be fixed or do I go ahead with the remap – I’ve heard rumors that a remap can sometimes stops the injector light illuminating which would be a bonus.

Would go to the stealers and pay £80ish for a health-check but not convinced they know what they’re on about will prob bill me about £1k for parts I don’t need replacing !

I really love the car but the reliability rumors that I’ve heard in the past look like they are now becoming apparent and I’m petrified at how much it will cost to get resolved - please advise…fingers crossed!!!

Regards,

Gav.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i have had almost the same thing 2800rpm the engine mag, light comes on :rant: then goes onto safe mode ,ive had a new maf , booster sensor a. fault code is p236 ,manifold pressure is the latest thing which can now lead to a new turbo:cry: 650quid down the swany:cry: the silly thing is if you keep pushing the car in safe mode the car just wants to stop feels like thers a build up of pressure then take my foot of the throttle the light goes out and then she flys.:rant: ive now got to the point i am determined to find out what it is so befor the new turbo angel tuning are going to do a diag, on it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
As you are only in Leam Spa, why not give us a call and we can do a dig for you anyway. If you need a repair or parts, we can give you a very competitive quotation and have a workshop only 15 miles away!
Give us a cal later tomorrow morning, 087 091 091 16

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi
Had the same problem when I bought my 156jtd about a year ago. The symptoms were about the same. if you take it gently it was good for about 80-85mph but if you put your foot down and drove it harder. the engine management light would come on and power would die. if you change down gears the power would be there again. this accompanied by a rather noisy turbo whine even at low revs. this got quite annoying after a while and quite dangerous as I couldn't overtake anything properly:eek: . I had Alfashop in norwich look at her and they diagnosed it as a turbo fault:cry: . For a replacement turbo (recon) and fitting Etc cost me ( sorry the dealer) £850. sorry to be the harbinger of doom but I only have my own experience to draw upon.
I hope it isn't as bad as my experience good luck.
Rog

·
Registered
910 Posts
thanks rodcarp,:) sounds like that mine is the same great, so with the new clutch it needs thats 2 grand out the window :cry: for a car thats worth about 4 grand :rolleyes: what to do keep it or trade it:confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys - prob not what I wanted to hear but thanks all the same.

Angel are kindly going to do a diagnostics on my car this week so we'll see where we go from there.

The AFM was changed when I bought the car (so the receipt states) which was my first assumption on the issue, however Ive not done the self-test by removing the plug so it oculd be this.

I'm hoping it;s something daft like a split hose but I'll see how the diag goes.

I hope it is fine as I'd like a remap within the next month - a £900 turbo replacement will soon put a stop to that !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.