Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been away from the forum for a few years now (just not enough time, bar the occasional "lurk") but still a happy owner of a 156 20V - 6 years now and it's on 114K.

Just done both inner CV boots (again - and new tri bearing in the right hand one - was still on the original!), new upper arms, new ARB (landed a GTA one off ebay as a right ol' bargain!), new brake discs and pads and various other wear and tear stuff but it's not let me down in all the time I've owned it. Could use a new undertray now, mind....

I dunno if anyone might know the answer to this one?

I'm going away in the car next week and the front pipe has decided to crack its flexi section - can hear it "pfffting". Looking for a replacement is causing some confusion though.

The ebay sellers all list the same pipe up to 2006 but I keep finding parts listings that say the 20V pipe is different (eper lists 55190242). Looking under the car it seems very similar to the 10V pipes, but do they actually fit or does it have to be a 20V part? Alfa list it at over £500, which obviously I'm not keen to stump up!! :wow:

if anyone knows it'd be a great help right now!

cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'll try and find some time to hang around again. Life just seems to get in the way of stuff! :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its good to see you back! I'd thought your 20V had been naughty and you'd sold it in disgust :) I would have thought most fast fit exhaust places could weld you in a new replacement flexy section. Might be worth asking as that would get you sorted quickly.

Keith

ps My 20V is coming up to 130k now and been a great car since you left

M

·
0 Posts
Have a look on Camskill as they used to do double braided ones (braided inside and out so stronger and smoother on inside for good flow).

If they still do them buy required size and have it welded in :)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its good to see you back! I'd thought your 20V had been naughty and you'd sold it in disgust :) I would have thought most fast fit exhaust places could weld you in a new replacement flexy section. Might be worth asking as that would get you sorted quickly.

Keith

ps My 20V is coming up to 130k now and been a great car since you left
Have a look on Camskill as they used to do double braided ones (braided inside and out so stronger and smoother on inside for good flow).

If they still do them buy required size and have it welded in :)
cheers Keith - good to see you still here as well! The 156 has been the best car I ever spent money on. I think I've probably only got it for another year, realistically, but it's more than earned its keep! My brother's got one as well now and loves it :cool:

re: front pipe - unfortunately time is against me in that respect - i'm at work all week and then off on a long trip in it. I've ordered one off the ebay seller, who reckons it fits my car so we'll see :confused: tbh it still drives pretty well so if all else fails I'll have to put up with it and sort it on return perhaps.

thanks mr-mac I'll check it out if the one i've ordered doesn't fit!

If the one I receive lines up OK its an "evening on the drive on 'me back" job :)

btw: I'm fairly certain it won't come with the bracket that mounts near the sump but found a 60mm poly tunnel (!) P clip that looks perfect once i've cut the long tab off it!

·
Registered
822 Posts
cheers Keith - good to see you still here as well! The 156 has been the best car I ever spent money on. I think I've probably only got it for another year, realistically, but it's more than earned its keep! My brother's got one as well now and loves it :cool:
!
Thats exactly how I feel about mine. Its a bugger to work on but the upside of that engine makes up for it. I also had to change my front ARB which wasn't much fun then I spent ages tracking down the cause for my flooded passenger footwell. Turned out to be the air con drain backing up and extending it was (surprise surprise) a grotty job. However, its our main family car and the only time its actually let me down was when the battery died during a really cold spell (and I knew it was on the way. Other than that its been a marvellous car that still gives me a smile when the torque cuts in. I even got (brim to brim) 47 mpg for the last tankfull which included lots of ~80 mph cruising. I cannot think of anything I would like to replace it with so its definately a keeper :thumbs:

Keith

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that ARB is a "fun" job isn't it :rant:

:)

I think the only time I've not been able to drive mine was a dead battery as well. It's taken a lot of abuse (mainly cornering and Derbyshire's lousy roads) and kept on ticking along. I do try and replace worn bits as soon as I can afford them though - you know the usuals I'm sure :) Got the flashing glow plug light probably 1 in 3 starts now but doesn't seem to affect anything....

It's got a lot easier to work on over the years as I've copper greased all the bits that need it and know how most of the running gear comes apart and goes back together now :D

Definitely going to be a hard act to follow, although I quite like the SAAB 9-3 TTID 180 Estate (need more boot space!), or possibly something more suited to rural Derbyshire, like a Freelander 2 or something :eek:

Meantime, I'll just try to keep on top of the servicing and hope it carries on behaving!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the part's arrived and it LOOKS pretty much the same as what's on the car (from recent memory). No front clamp but I expected that.

Gonna see if it lines up tomorrow evening, all being well, and if it does I'll be wondering why Alfa (via eper) list an entirely different front pipe for the 20v. It doesn't even look like mine on the eper drawing?!

And if it doesn't line up, I'll know why :)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This will be interesting!!!
possibly :) And there may yet be much cursing (not here, on the drive at my house!)

Still, the seller checked against the reg. number so I'm covered one way or another and it really does look just like the one on the car. Hard to tell about lengths and angles without a side by side comparison of course....

...oh yeah and i dunno if the Cat flange nuts are going to come off OK yet either :eek:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, did it 'eckers like fit :rolleyes:

So, a bit of cut n shut (by me, via angle grinder :D ) and some sizing work by a friendly local exhaust builder got it there in the end. I'll have to let the seller know that their listings are definitely wrong.

Its very similar, but the bends are different at the front and the 3 bolt flange is at a different rotation.

Still, got it sorted and the car's done 300 or so miles fully loaded without problems. I was quite pleased with the poly tunnel p clip clamp solution but wouldnt recommend the rest of what I ended up doing! :)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts