Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Anyone experienced this? Getting exhaust fumes coming out from under the engine, which leads me to believe there is a blockage somewhere. But, without taking it apart, I don't where it might be. Is it common for the honey combs to break up on these??? Anone else had this problem?

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Very very rare to get a blocked exhaust on one of these. I've never heard of it. First thing I'd remove to check is the pre-cat bolted to the side of the turbo. While its off, do an oil & filter change.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a cracked flexi section? The turbo/cats will damp a lot of exhaust noise so it may not sound like a classic 'blow'.

Keith

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thing is, stationery, when revved, the exhaust fumes are coming out from where the down pipe meets the front pipe - ie the flexi pipe but not the flexi end, the other end!

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Could be that the mid-cat is blocked, you could remove it and put a temporary decat pipe in place to see if it fixes the problem? I'd be surprised if the cat has collapsed as it is metallic rather than ceramic, they don't usually crumble away like petrol cats do.

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
where would I get a decat pipe from Pud? And is the mid cat totally necessary???
You could get a welder/fabricator to cut out your cat and replace it with straight pipe, or go to a proper custom exhaust shop and get them to fabricate a new section for you so you can unbolt and remove the cat and bolt in a decat pipe in the same manner. The car doesn't require the cat to be present, I'm not sure where the law stands but most of my 156s have been without cats for the last 6 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts