Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking for one of these and am ideally looking for a low milage car(ie under 45k or so)

What additional problems would I potentially get if looking a higher mileage car please?

Cheers

Steve :)

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Hi and welcome - I have a 1.8TS, '03 plate. It is great. Economy slightly better than 2.0, power fine for my needs. I think most people won't find much difference between the 2 engines but then after having said that someone will come along and tell you otherwise.....:)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Hi and welcome - I have a 1.8TS, '03 plate. It is great. Economy slightly better than 2.0, power fine for my needs. I think most people won't find much difference between the 2 engines but then after having said that someone will come along and tell you otherwise.....:)
Quite right of you to say as I have just come along and have to say get the 2.0L over the 1.8 :D

The running cost maybe slightly more, but the engine will last that bit longer on 2.0TS as it has a balancer shaft which makes it more smoother like a V6.

Look out for gremlins too :wow:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The 1.8 seems to run out of steam sooner, so if you do a lot of motorway miles you're probably best off with the 2.0. That said, servicing the 2.0 obviously costs more.

Older 156s - as cj romeo said - tend to have noisy suspension, other than that we have a 156 with 55k on the clock and there's not a lot wrong with it. Make sure the cambelt and tensioners have been changed - best to buy one at 36k that's (hopefully) just had it done.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I prefer the 1.8, its revvier and more characterful than the 2 litre, but lacks torque and flexibility in comparison. (actually the best sounding 4 cylinder is the 1.6 120bhp!)

The 2 litre is much more prone to engine failure for some reason or other, possibly the oil pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts