Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening gents,

I'm new to this forum so be gentle with me, but I have a question relating to the 1998 156 2.0 TS 16v that I've just bought.

It has a misfire that starts from cold but gradually improves as the car gets warmer to a point where it'll just about accept being limped about.

Is there a chance it's the coil pack causing this issue? I'm used to cars with a distributor so have no knowledge of what one really does other than sits in place of the dizzy.

Of course if anybody knows of something else that may be causing this then do please let me know, and if you have any links to companies that sell cheaper Alfa bits then that'd be spot on too :)

Thanks folks,
Adam.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Had a similar question when I first bought mine. Search for ECU reset. It worked for me...

Someone a bit more knowledgeable will be along in a minute.
Welcome to AO.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Hi,

I'd suggest two things...

My 1.8 splutters a bit when it's stone cold. I changed the air-flow meter (MAF) for a 2nd hand one I 'happened upon', which cured it. It's come back now though, so I'm about to order a brand new one.

Also check the air pipe between the MAF and the throttle body - it's a fairly large-diameter black ribbed (ie flexible) rubber pipe. These often split, which causes un-metered air into the intake, throwing off the mixture settings. Remove that, inspect it, and replace/repair if necessary.

Hope this helps...and welcome :)

Iain

·
Registered
648 Posts
Possibly coolant temp sensor

Could also try pulling the coil pack rail out and checking down the plug holes, sometimes when filling with oil it's easy to spill some and it will then flow in between the cover and down the plug holes...that would cause a misfire, I had oil in mine but that was due to the cam cover gasket.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
There are so many possibilities, but the coolant temp and MAF sensors are the usual suspects in this, unplug the MAF and see if the car feels better, if it does replace it.

Nothing helps diagnosing this though better than the laptop. We really need the fault code for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts