Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - my daughter has an " X " reg 156 2.0 TS with 107k miles on it - not had it long, but has just started having a problem starting. Starts, but mis-fires for a minute or two, then if you rev it a little bit it will idle quite happily and runs fine !

She can't really afford big garage bills at the moment so would very much appreciate any ideas of what to start looking at

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Suction out the oil in number one plug recess.If its been topped up with oil without a steady hand number one plug hole fills up with oil and it eventually causes a misfire.Coilpacks also fail peanuts on ebay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks - will try cleaning out the plug holes in the morning and report back

Much appreciated

D

·
0 Posts
The other thing you might want to try is disconnecting the air flow meter ( MAF ), probably wont idle but see if it revs cleanly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Davffc - can you give me some guidance on where that sensor is ? Last time I did much in the way of home mechanics cars didn't have all these sensors and stuff - just hit them with a big hammer, kicked the tyres, cleaned plugs and distributor cap and you were usually good to go :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - good call ! Lots of oil in the number 1 plug recess - cleared it out and has now started 4 times today with no mis-fire

Much appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts