Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll keep it short and sweet. 2004, 61K, head gasket gone. Bit of a bummer but in my opinion one of those things that can happen at any time and on any car :cry: .

However, while the head is off, I reckon that should a- change the valve stem seals (may help the oil consumption a bit) and b- Do the timing belt as there is only 11K to go anyway. Anything else (within reason) that should be done while in this state of limbo?

Secondly. I may change the car later in the year anyway. Given that I have done the stat, wishbones, front shocks, rear trailing arm and exhaust flexi section is there in reality anything else that can go pete tong and if I do sell it, what would a fair (current) price be. Ireckon about £4K given that the maintenance record is complete and thorough.

What would you guys do in my shoes??

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
If the head is off, a new cambelt is essential, not an optional extra!!

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
You need to be sure it is the head-gasket before you start.
Oil in the coolant is usually due the the oil/coolant heat exchanger failing.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a reason the head gasket has gone, seems strange for a car thats only done 61K.
Was the CAM belt changed at 32K if not its well over due anyhow.
Als what dave said...
Yes cambelt done at 36K. Some twit had mixed 2 types of antifreeze in the system which had essentially sludged it up. We suspect the pressure in the system was high and perished the gasket too. This came to the fore after a stat change . . . . . .:rolleyes:

You need to be sure it is the head-gasket before you start.
Oil in the coolant is usually due the the oil/coolant heat exchanger failing.
I don't appear to have oil in the coolant. Water in the bores and the tell-tale mayonnaise under the filler cap. Foaming too in the expansion tank. It's been a bit mysterious to be honest . . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts