Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently heard that it is not necessary to replace both spark plugs per cylinder as the small one is only for emission regulations and offer no extra horsepower. can anyone confirm this?

There are no emission regulations in my country, so if it is true I am thinking of running it on 4 spark plugs instead of the standard 8.
I do however want to keep all the little horses under my bonnet:D

thanks in advance
Sean

PS. sorry if this is a double post but I could not find any other thread on this.

L

·
0 Posts
BOTH plugs of all cylinders fire EVERY time the piston goes to TDC, replace BOTH per cylinder, 8 in total.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The extra plugs help stabilise at low revs. The TS is a 'racing' engine and without the extra plug it can be a bit lumpy...

This is what I've heard... Anybody ??

L

·
0 Posts
all I know is every time I see you name Leaky 156 I think my account has been hacked ;)

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Why would you only replace half of them? :confused:

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
The small plug fires on the exhaust stroke, if you look at the way the ht leads run you can see this so they dont effect the running but it wouldnt be good practice to only change the main plugs.
I think on the jts engine both plugs fire at the same time

L

·
0 Posts
The small plug fires on the exhaust stroke, if you look at the way the ht leads run you can see this so they dont effect the running but it wouldnt be good practice to only change the main plugs.
I think on the jts engine both plugs fire at the same time
Jon, JTS only has one spark plug per cylinder :cheese:

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
As suggested you need to change all eight. There are no 'short cuts' with this engine. Cut corners and you'll soon be throwing it all in the scrapyard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bosch Alfa Romeo | Euro Car Parts UK

Bosch Alfa Romeo | Euro Car Parts UK

That's what you want...
And use ECP discount WINTER25 for 25% off.
WOW! I would pay those prices without the discount, if I could. how is their international delivery? might give it a try.

in the good old RSA the dealer asks R175 without vat and not installed. The cheapest car parts place asks R147 for the cheap one and R176 (inc vat) for the other. For those unfamiliar with the ZAR, 10GBP = 125.80ZAR

and yes those prices are per spark plug not for the set

thanks for the advice so far!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
You want NGK Platinum plugs ... not Bosch :(

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
^^ always been told NGK from many sources...

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Most engines fire the plugs on both strokes of the piston - its called a wasted spark system as the spark on the exhaust stroke does nothing and to stop it sparking is fairly complicated electronicly so they just let it crack on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts