Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

What a terrible day. I decided to do the brakes on the baby. Front's went well - minimal fuss.

First back (rear left) - calliper has seized. After I took the calliper off the car I noticed that the cylinder had unscrewed itself. No idea how this could have happened.

Anyway now I need to get a replacement part. Any ideas where I can get this in JHB, and what am I looking at for costs?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi it has two notches inside the cylinder. cut a cheap but strong socket to fit over the notches inside and screw back. no need to replace the part just turn it back in whilst brake fluid cap under bonnet is unscrewed. Chao enjoy doing the back pads.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

Feel like an idiot - but that is how we learn.

The rear brake calliper has to be turned back in when replacing the pads. You need a special tool to do this. You have to push the calliper in, and at the same time turn the thing. Now the million dollar question - will Midas have such a tool.

Otherwise it is e-bay for me. :(

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Craig, midas sold a universal tool that needed to be modified to fit, but I don't think they stock it anymore. I've done my brakes a number of times and never used the tool but always got it working properly.

Can you see the thread on the part that the piston turns onto? If you can, take note of it's direction. I know one caliper is left hand thread and the other is right hand thread.

The only reason why the piston could unwind it's self is if your discs and pads are too thin. Please measure their thickness and make sure they are within spec. :thumbs:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ian,

The pads were way too thin - so that's why it unwound. The problem is that it has completely unwound - hence the need for the tool. Going to pop into Midas and see what I can get.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Ok, cannot find this tool anywhere. So I have had to bite the bullet and order a tool from Bennets in the UK (see pic below).

The only problem I have with ordering stuff like this, is that the postage costs are the same as the item itself :cry:. Anyways 40 quid later.

So now I wait for the gadget, with my baby up on trestles. :cry: At least she will have brakes again (positive thoughts) :)

Cheers

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
I just use a g clamp and water pump pliers.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The pads were way too thin - so that's why it unwound. The problem is that it has completely unwound
I have a feeling the discs are worn past the limit. I have never seen it to unscrew totally.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

I tried the g-clamp and water pump pliers and ended up destroying the rubber dust boots.

I also tried the long nosed pliers and ended uip removing half the skin off my fingers.

So I ordered the gadget.

Corrie, do you have any idea what the disc thickness should be? I can't find it in the manual.

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
New discs are 10mm. Replace at 9mm. That's only 1mm leeway.

When your pads are worn down completely you will still have 1mm of disc thickness to spare before the pistons wind out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New discs are 10mm. Replace at 9mm. That's only 1mm leeway.

When your pads are worn down completely you will still have 1mm of disc thickness to spare before the pistons wind out.

Thanks Ian,

I will have a look see this evening. But by the sound of things - I might need new disks. :(

Any ideas on where to get new discs and what the damage is going to be to the wallet?

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi craig.

Just as a side note midas and autozone do stock the brake caliper tool. Its a bit pricey though R900 but something thats off investment. It a universal set so it has about 5 or 6 different templates to fit most if not all rear brake calipers.
If a shop doesn't have any stock on hand they can most definitely order a set for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi craig.

Just as a side note midas and autozone do stock the brake caliper tool. Its a bit pricey though R900 but something thats off investment. It a universal set so it has about 5 or 6 different templates to fit most if not all rear brake calipers.
If a shop doesn't have any stock on hand they can most definitely order a set for you.

Thanks for that Purple. But all the midas' I went to over the weekend looked at me as if I was mad.

So I gave up and ordered the one shown earlier in this post. It was only R600 with postage. So I feel a bit better now.

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
846 Posts
Brilliant.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Craig, I've seen them in Midas too and when I decided to buy it for myself, I got the same blank expression. That explains the long nose pliers bit...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts