Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Right, this morning my girlfriend's 156 2.0 TS (late 2000 reg) apparently just cut dead whilst gently accelerating in 5th about 60mph. Managed to pull it over, and tried restarting, to no avail. Managed to get a lift to work, then her brother went back to try and retrieve it (after approx. 1 hour) then it started first time with no problems. Drove it back home and after approx. half an hour it cut again. Again, got it to the side of the road, and after approx. half an hour restarted again with no problems. Now I know the thermostat needs doing and we're just waiting for the part (engine is running a tad too cool), but has anybody any idea what could be going on. The only thread which seems to bear resemblance is one which mentions the crank-sensor could be mullered. Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

James.

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
Crank sensor.
If you can get it to cut out, measure the resistance of the crank sensor at the connector.

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
They fail around 1K Ohm and the resistance will reduce as the sensor cools until it gets low enough for it to work again.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, now I understand why it only restarts when cool. Thats brilliant, thank you very much indeed!:thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts