Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for "clutch replacement", and read through the first 5 pages...

They were mostly talking about slave cylinders and V6s and JTDs.

Anyway, the clutch on my 2000 156 looks like it's giving up. I have no idea how old it is; it may be the original for all I know. The car had around 90k miles on it when I bought, and I've only done around 10k in 3 years or so. The clutch action has always been very heavy since I've owned it, which I think I read on one of the searched threads was a sign of a worn pressure plate or summat?

Well, I saw figures of 70-800 quid being bandied around. Is this true for the twin spark?

Cos if it is, I might as well drive it straight down to the scrappy now*. A while back, I decided after some regret, to get rid of it and buy a cheap old banger that would be cheaper to insure and use less petrol. This plan went breasts-up when I couldn't sell the 156!

It's sure a shame that clutches aren't as easy to replace as they are on bikes! :)

I put it on ebay, and couldn't even get 700 quid for it. So spending the value of the car on a new clutch seems a little crazy.

* of course, I wouldn't literally do this without offering it to fellow Alfaowner posters for "spares or repair" first.

·
Registered
568 Posts
1.Where are you situated?
2. It might cost you that at an Alfa main dealer but there is no need to use a main dealer for a clutch replacement.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm none the wiser! :)

but I'll keep watching this space, and I daresay all will become clear.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worst as far as I'm concerned. :(

I managed to total my bike yesterday coming home from work. Well, I say total, I reckon it's an insurance write off. So effectively, I have no car and no bike, and a job (for a while) that's 25 miles away. This obviously means I need transport 'now'. So it's looking like the 156 is going to have to go, sadly. I'll be PM'ing smaky too, who has already been in touch.

So basically it's available to anyone who wants to drive it away. I wouldn't trust it go far, so it'd need to local to me (Trowbridge Wiltshire). I'm thinking in terms of a couple of hundred quid towards my next banger (shudder).

Anyway, I'll put a proper ad in the appropriate section later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts