Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 2.0 poor fuel consumption

906 7
I've not driven the alfa much as I've been restoring her. Now noticed that I'm getting under 20mpg (when the fuel dial works - lol). Could this be because I have fitted a CF3 engine - still using the original CF2 ECU and CF2 exhaust? (Fitted all the CF2 bits to it) Could it need tuning? Could it be caused by a blowing exhaust manifold (hairline crack)? Where do I start?
99 156 2.0TS
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temp gauge is fine - runs at 90 (occasional brief 100 until fan kicks in). It could be the accuracy of the gauge I'd brimmed the tank though and haven't even done 200 miles before the light's on and the needle is almost on empty.
Everything was renewed on the engine including thermostat and MAF. The manifold is leaking from the underside of one of the pipes - as the engine warms up, the noise improves. I'm going to try the ECU reset - is it same procedure for all 156 and 147's?

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've done the ECU reset and it's definitely running sweeter - it doesn't smell so 'rich' either. Fingers crossed that it's sorted. I was doing a mix of driving a couple of miles in traffic then 15 on dual carriageway 60 mph (honest, officer).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.