Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the following advisories on my last service. Am soon going for my MOT. How many of these are MOT fails? Got the impression a lot of it was the dealer fishing for extra work:

osf door check strap worn/noisy
lambda probe fault logged
nsf fog light broken
radiator highly corroded but not yet leaking
slight play in anti roll bar
hand brake outer cables deteriorated
track rod arms/nuts very corroded
osr brake pipe to flexi corroded
LH wing mirror housing loose
small blow from centre exhaust box
nsf front wheel slightly buckled
front flex exhaust pipe deteriorated

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
So much of the MOT is down to the opinion of the examiner on the day that it is impossible to say if it will fail or pass.
But an exhaust leak is a high suspect for an failure as is the lambda if it is throwing emissions out.
But if he forgets to shove the probe up the tail pipe even that could pass...!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So much of the MOT is down to the opinion of the examiner on the day that it is impossible to say if it will fail or pass.
But an exhaust leak is a high suspect for an failure as is the lambda if it is throwing emissions out.
But if he forgets to shove the probe up the tail pipe even that could pass...!!
Thanks. Will get the lambda sensor and front flexi changed. Hopefully it will pass with the centre box as it is.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
The lambda sensor issue may not be the sensor itself.
The 2.0JTS had issues with the lambda sensor connectors from day one. Most of the time it was those, not the sensor itself.

As for the centre silencer. stick a patch on it. If it has a leak it may cause the tailpipe probe to pickup emissions out of range and cause a fail. It in't so much about exhaust leaking out, it is extra air getting in that changes the tailpipe reading.

Check those brake pipes too. A sudden brake pipe burst is unlikely to end well......

Reactions: t1grm

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Regards the lambda fault this was an advisory from the last service so I would have hoped they checked the connections before putting it down. Anyway I've ordered the following off ebay for about £150.

Door strap
Lambda probe
Front fog lamp
Hand brake cables
Rear brake flexi pipe
Front exhaust flexi pipe
Second hand wing mirror

I'll leave the floor pans and radiator for now. The latter isn't leaking anyway. Might get a recore done if I can find a place to do it locally.

My tyres are all close to minimum so better get them swapped before the MOT now as well! :censored:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts