Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 has 205/60 x 16 tyres and I have just acquired some 7 x 16 TSW Evo rims (ET35), so need to think about swapping tyres over. Wsa looking through this forum (and other sites – sorry...) and found several references to 156s on 205/55 x 16 rubber. That equates to a 20mm (or 3.07 per cent) difference in diameter to my current tyres – a lot by any reckoning. Which is/was correct?

I am considering fitting 225/55 x 16s, which is only a 2mm (0.31 per cent) difference in diameter to the 205/60s. Any thoughts on this? And don't say "fit 17s...".:)

Many thanks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
All I can say is that I think the tyres should have been the 205/55/16's to start with. Not that it really answers your question :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
Your original tyres are the wrong size. You are correct in saying they should be 205/55 R16

I don't think you will gain much by fitting wider tyres on the standard sized rims TBH, except more tramlining, more road noise and worse aerodynamics. You also may have trouble with 225 width tyres clearing the suspension upright. It is very close with the standard width boots on.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Yep

Should be 205/55R16

One of the 15" sizes was 205/60R15, maybe that is where some confusion occurred.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go for the closest rolling diameter to the 205/55 16s. That'll mean the speedo will read as close as possible to correct. Also, the 60 profile tyres will have been very bouncy. The change from over large tyres to elastic bands on 17s will be a huge difference. I'd suggest you try and book a ride in a similarly shod 156 to check you can put up with the hard ride and crashes.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I agree with everything thats been said before but have a look at this if you're interested in changing wheel/tyre sizes:

Master DRDdata

At least it gives you an idea what works/fits with what.
(Sorry link has been wiped out!)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Go for the closest rolling diameter to the 205/55 16s. That'll mean the speedo will read as close as possible to correct. Also, the 60 profile tyres will have been very bouncy. The change from over large tyres to elastic bands on 17s will be a huge difference. I'd suggest you try and book a ride in a similarly shod 156 to check you can put up with the hard ride and crashes.
He doesn't want to change to 17".
He just wanted confirmation of the correct 16" size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts